Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Screen turned pink tinted and computer froze

Last response: in Components
April 28, 2012 2:09:27 AM

So today I turned on my computer and ran it, same as normal. The night comes and I leave the computer for a few minutes to eat. When I came back I clicked on FireFox but then (almost instantly) my computer turned a pink tint and a little pixelated (you could still see the screensaver and everything) and the computer froze. Only way I could get out was holding the power button. What is the problem? Never had this happen to me before on this computer or my old one of 4 years. Tried to google the problem but all that comes up is that it is a hardware malfunction, but nothing specific is said. My new one was built in January of this year so it is basically new. The only old parts I have in it are a 1 terabyte HDD. The parts are

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68
CPU- Intel Core i5-2500K
RAM - Corsair 8gb
Video Card - EVGA GTX 550 Ti 1GB
HDD - Seagate 1TB (about 4 years old)
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Is this something I should worry about and bring it in to the shop or did something freaky just happen with a part?

Best solution

April 28, 2012 2:16:48 AM

i had the same problem ,too. Try downgrading from 296.10 to 295.73. it should be able to keep it stable for the time being.
April 28, 2012 2:24:16 AM

Bad Nvidia drivers, no way...
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2012 2:45:25 AM

give it a try.
m
l
April 28, 2012 2:52:23 AM

lookerup said:
give it a try.

No i totally agree with you, I was just being sarcastic lol. I used to rock a GTS-250, I loved the card but absolutely despised searching for good drivers from Nvidia.
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:21:44 AM

I had the same problem with 296.10 on the same type of card (Zotac GTX 550 Ti) so I rolled back the drivers and it sorted out the issue, the pink screen used to come up during FireFox session while opening a new tab.
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:28:57 AM

nvidia drivers are so bugged. should've gone with AMD radeon gpus.
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:29:25 AM

cmi86 said:
No i totally agree with you, I was just being sarcastic lol. I used to rock a GTS-250, I loved the card but absolutely despised searching for good drivers from Nvidia.

oh wow, didn't catch on lol
m
l
April 28, 2012 7:37:41 AM

lookerup said:
oh wow, didn't catch on lol

Haha It's all good man, I guess I could have been a little clearer lol. I love nvidia cards but man their drivers are horrid. I love my 6950's too (unlocked shaders to 6970 and OC) and MOST every new driver works flawlessly without hassle. Anyways, getting back on topic the 550 is a nice card. I would put money on the driver issue like you said.
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:03:34 AM

Best answer selected by davelepard.
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:07:28 AM

lookerup said:
i had the same problem ,too. Try downgrading from 296.10 to 295.73. it should be able to keep it stable for the time being.

Thanks, haven't downgraded yet but since everyone seems to agree it is the driver I will believe it. I went with Nvidia because for for the price I was spending for a graphic card, the 550 benchmarks were better than any Radeon that I could find. Also I grew up exposed to Nvidia too, so truthfully I will probably always go with Nvidia unless the Radeon card tops Nvidia for my price. Thanks again. Cheers.
m
l
April 29, 2012 1:36:13 AM

lookerup said:

i'm a noob, how does one downgrade it back. ''System Restore''?
thx
m
l
April 29, 2012 2:09:57 AM

las32 said:
i'm a noob, how does one downgrade it back. ''System Restore''?
thx

1) Stop windows from installing updates automatically. Go to your control panel, then windows upate, then change settings. Change this setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."

2) Disable or turn off any antivirus you have running, especially any that have some sort of real time scanner. (Sorry but with so many apps you'll have to figure this one out on your own) VISTA USERS- make sure you disable windows defener. (personally if you do use it I'd stop using it al together. It's a horrible program)

Now if you use any applications like EVGA precision, nHancer, MSI afterburner, or ANY type of system monitoring software that is set to launch when you start windows, disable it.Also, if you use any of the above applications to Overclock your graphics card, you need to return you cards to stock settings. This is optional but you may even want to take the step of just simply uninstalling any of these types of applications, especially those that are able to to be used for overclocking or 3D profile changes (such as nHancer)

We are now ready to being the uninstall process.

1) Go to your control panel and go to programs and features or add/remove programs
2) Uninstall the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver
3) Uninstall the NVIDIA PhysX
STOP! - do not uninstall anything else. close the applications window.

Next navigate to your device manager. This can also be found in your control panel.

In your device manager, navigate to the display adapters. Click on the little + button next to dispaly adapters and you should now see your graphics card listed. Right click on your graphics card and click uninstall. At this point a you'll get a pop up window- NOTE: be sure to put a check mark in the box to "delete the driver software for this device"

Now that your driver is uninstalled we need to delete the driver folders. These can be located in the following locations
- C: /NVIDIA/
Delete the "DisplayDriver" folder

- C: /Program Files/
Delete the entire "NVIDIA Corporation" folder

Go to this folder c: /Windows/System32/DriverStore/FileRepository. Delete any folder that begins with nv_disp.inf (make sure you are deleting the correct folder here) If you are unable to delete this folder, please see the bottom of this thread.

For 64bit OS users
- C/Program Files (x86)
Delete the entire "NVIDIA Corporation" folder

Optional step- you will lose any 3D game/program settings you may have altered in the control panel
- C /ProgramData
Delete both the "NVIDIA" and "NVIDIA" Corporation folder

If for some reason you don't find some of these folders, that's ok.

Now before you do ANYTHING else, read these next steps until your are instructed to re-boot your pc.

1) You are going to reboot your pc in safe mode (press F8 as your computer boots up)(DON"T DO THIS NOW)
2) When options come up for safe mode, choose the first option on the list that only says "Safe Mode" (The one without networking)

*Note* Windows will install a generic VGA driver once you boot. That is totally fine and will not affect your install. There is no need to remove it.

Once your computer has booted and you now in windows safe mode

3) Open up Driver Sweeper application.
4) Put check marks in the boxes next to the following items
- NVIDIA Display
- NVIDIA PhysX
5) Click the Analyze button
Once the program is done analyzing you should see a list of items with check marks next to all of them. If for some reason all the items do not have checkmarks, you can click the * button, then select and then all.

6) Now click the clean button
7) Once that has completed. Close the application and reboot your machine as normal.
8)Install desired driver
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:20:26 AM

Cheers Lookerup
Never crossed so many mountains and rivers..
Will need to strap on tight with extra supplies before i attempt :) 
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:25:15 AM

glad to help
m
l
May 3, 2012 5:57:57 AM

I have a gtx 550 ti and was using a 296.10 driver and I was experiencing pink screen similar to the psod i was getting on my gtx 560 in a seperate build. Than i overwrote that driver with 295.73 (The second newest official WHQL GeForce 295.73 Driver and now i get red dots/lines across the screen. I then uninstalled that driver in a very similar way to how you instructed. I now have installed a fresh 295.73 driver after the uninstall and will see how it goes.
So my question is, does everyone find that this 295.73 driver is stable for gtx 550 ti?
What are my options? Could it possibly be a defective video card?
m
l
May 3, 2012 7:46:58 PM

mediastoner said:
I have a gtx 550 ti and was using a 296.10 driver and I was experiencing pink screen similar to the psod i was getting on my gtx 560 in a seperate build. Than i overwrote that driver with 295.73 (The second newest official WHQL GeForce 295.73 Driver and now i get red dots/lines across the screen. I then uninstalled that driver in a very similar way to how you instructed. I now have installed a fresh 295.73 driver after the uninstall and will see how it goes.
So my question is, does everyone find that this 295.73 driver is stable for gtx 550 ti?
What are my options? Could it possibly be a defective video card?

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

do manual search once you click on website
m
l
!