GTX 580 Poor Video Playback, TDR, etc

Prosercunus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I purchased a GTX 580 and besides the wonderful gaming performance I am having issues galore.

TDR crashes while browsing Firefox/Chrome (rather hardware acceleration is on or not)
Video Playback on my own personal videos is dreadful. I get either a million green dots on the video, pure green screen on the video, artifacting bad after watching a video in full screen, this effects outside of the video as well, I have to restart my computer on that one.

Normally I would chalk it up to some bad hardware on my part, however I have tried different PSU, Memory, etc. I have tested both immensely and everything passes...

I believe it may be a software problem since... I can game for hours and be perfectly fine (BF3, Skyrim, Shogun 2, etc). I am really pulling my hair out on this one. I love the card for its gaming performance, but it is buggy as hell when web browsing, media playback, etc.

I can't even do HDMI out to my TV without running into TDR problems and what have you. The Nvidia forums have been unhelpful, I am hoping a driver release will fix these issues, but no go after trying many versions.

I am ready to switch (back) to AMD just so I can have great gaming performance AND great general computing usage. My 5850 was flawless for what it was.

Help? Suggestions?

Prosercunus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Yes. I have done a full reformat with no success.

PSU is Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371001

I should mention I tried a Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU as well with the exact same results. It was not mine or else I would of kept it.

I don't believe it is a power issue however, since I do game for hours in demanding games with no problems. I even ran Furmark for god knows how long.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
The thing is when you go in 2d the driver selects a entry for that mode from the bios. If it happens just online with flash movies then its a flash player problem or firefox and its hardware acceleration being buggy.

Prosercunus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007

That is what I was thinking as well. I like to believe it is the Nvidia drivers going insane on me (my problems are fairly well documented on the Nvidia forums across all different types of computers).

The 2D clocks is a good suggestion, since I think that may be one of the root causes, considering in 3D games I am perfect, in video playback and web browsing I am just getting destroyed with errors.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
What video player have you been using? Did you try another player like vlc or media player classic?
You know that nvidia got profiles for their drivers that you can fine tune? Even for media players and such. You can use Nhancer or rivatuner to edit and fine tune them

Prosercunus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007

Possibly. I am just afraid I will end up like the other people I have seen with the same issue (RMA it up too 3 times and same result)

I may just switch to AMD and quit spending time trying to solve this problem. My return time is still within its time range. I rather do that than go through an RMA process.

Thank you for the help.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

it looks like there's a bunch of them that came faulty from the factory and made it to the shelves. Rma it and see if you get one that's working. Otherwise think of switching OEMS. Gtx 580 is a awesome card.

Prosercunus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I know. I really don't want to give it up... I get flawless performance in games.

Is it possible the RAM could be bad and only show up in things like videos but not in 3D gaming?

Well if worse comes to worse I will throw my old 5850 in my machine and RMA the GTX 580 to solve once and for all rather or not it is software or hardware.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

you see watching movies and playing games the gpu does different things. Nvidia got a sort of ecc on they're ram almost like Amd's EDC which corrects errors in the memory. In games the gpu does all sorts of things to create the image. So although the games looks good you might not get the performance you should be getting.
In movies it doesn't draw triangles tint the pixels etc etc. There's no math it need to do and bits it needs to correct and that's why you probably only see it when watching movies

monsta

Splendid
I've heard the EVGA 580's have been getting a few returns, if you feel dissapointed you could always go for another brand like ASUS or MSI, thier 580's appear to be the most reliable.
There could possibly be a ram issue , the 2D appears to be having the issues
I understand your frustration , best to return it and get another and enjoy your system again.

Prosercunus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Indeed. The TDR thing I understand. Since the Nvidia 280.xx drivers have been knowing to be giving those on healthy cards.

Rather or not mine is healthy or not, I am unsure, the video playback problems worry me.

As far as gaming performance is concerned. I am getting the full performance, I have seen/read the benchmarks and 3DMark is right in that sweet spot.