Cannot enable SLI for my GTX 460's

lovehatecomputers

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hello. For the love of god somebody please tell me what's wrong...

Motherboard: Asrock P67 extreme4 gen3
GPU: GTX 460 x2
CPU: i7 2600k sandy
750 watt PSU
Windows 7 64 bit

Take a wild guess, both of my GPUs are plugged into both of the pci-e 3.0 slots, secured and powered.
The SLI connector is secure in place.
Device manager shows them working.
CPU-Z and GPU-Z show them working.
I am using the most up-to-date drivers from nvidia.
I cleaned out my registry as well and did a CLEAN install with the same driver to see if it would fix. Nothing.

However.... when I right click desktop > nvidia control panel, I don't see an option to "set SLI config". Just PhysX config.

Here I took screenies:

2zi4scw.jpg

My only guess is to replace the SLI connector? I know they're cheap but I was just trying to see if it's something bigger than that? HELP :(

monsta

Splendid
If you have any more pci-e slots try using that one too to see if SLI comes up with it.
Also make sure you have installed all your Motherboard drivers, seen this happen before when they werent installed on another board.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Does the Nvidia control panel "config SLI" give you the option of 3d or surround? If it does then click 3d. I set up my GTX 470s last week and this is how I got them to SLI. Funny, it is one of those stupid things that are not explicit.

lovehatecomputers

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
my BIOS says it's up to date. There are only 3 possible slots where I can put my 460s but apparently only 2 that I can use with SLI. for example, 2 of the pci e slots are spaced out from eachother just enough to give enough room for my SLI connector. if I try to move them both down a slot, I won't have enough of a gap between the cards to connect my sli connector(it's a hard chip not the soft flexible kind).

In the nvidia control panel I don't see an option for SLI or surround at all. I do however see the 3D option and I don't see anything in that that could take me to it. and yeah i just reinstalled all my mobo drivers last night to see if it would fix the problem, nope

here's a pic of my exact model motherboard. I circled where my cards are

2gtrpzm.jpg

I'm on the verge of just wiping my hard drive clean, reinstalling windows(MAYBE installing 32 bit this time?)

jonainpdx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Oh don't go to a 32Bit that will cause more problems like not being able to use more than 4Gb of RAM.

If I remember correctly, even with out an SLI bridge connecting the two cards, the Nvidia Control Panel will still offer SLI.

My 1st thought, you have a driver issue. Reinstall your Nvidia drivers. Check advanced, check clean install.

You may have a bad SLI bridge. Like I said earlier, befor, the option was made available even with no bridge connected. But that may not be the case anymore.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
jonainpdx give you best option to fix this case.
if i may add little bit.
clean install your windows and drive with single gpu in it.
after update last driver provide from nvidia.
Then turn off system.
Add card in and make sure sli bridge is on sit.
turn it on see there are sli option visible.
If not.
reset bios menu, change another bridge...
That's all i think of right now...
Good luck~

lovehatecomputers

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Reinstalled windows, and man...nothing is more satisfying then doing that and getting no results. Heh.

I'm working on that now, monsta. My only issue is that my sli connector can only reach both cards if they're in the 2 circled slots from the pic above. It was mentioned that I might not need the sli connector to see the OPTION to enable sli but I guess I'll find out.

Is it possible that one of the video cards is just not sli compatible? Even though they are both GTX 460? They both work individually, and device manager says they work fine together as well, but still cannot enable SLI no matter what.

One of the video cards is older than the other...but same chip set.

lovehatecomputers

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
By the way you guys are awesome, I really appreciate the responses.

Here are GPU-Z screens of both of my video cards. Is there anything here that you can see being a problem with SLI compatibility?

the older card:
154yes5.jpg

the newer card:
ftmt50.jpg

I had heard memory sizes matter when using SLI. I heard that you can't mix and match. Is this true? If so I believe I found the problem. One of my 460s is a 768 while the other 460 is a 1GB. Unless anybody wants to smash that theory by telling me they've done differently?

mac-za

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Hey there

I have the Gtx 460 as well and am having issues myself, yours issue is that the memory has to be the same, you cant sli a 768 with a 1 gig just the same as you cant sli a gtx 460 with a gtx 460 se