[Max 7D Anti shake test] Revised - added lens data

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 12, 2005 7:55:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I just tested the 200mm end of the 80-200 f/2.8 with the Maxxum 7D anti
shake.

http://www.aliasimages.com/KM7D_AS_Test.htm

28 or 20mm to follow when I get "a round tuit".

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:14:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> I just tested the 200mm end of the 80-200 f/2.8 with
> the Maxxum 7D anti shake.
>
> http://www.aliasimages.com/KM7D_AS_Test.htm
>
> 28 or 20mm to follow when I get "a round tuit".

Thanks again, very interesting test.

Does Konica-Minolta antishake always add French synonyms
to every image? ;-)

In your 80-200/2.8 series, I wonder why the letters are smaller
at 1/50 second (-3 stops). Did you stand further away?

I was trying to see whether -3 stops is a reasonable claim.
Looks like a reasonable value is about -2.5 stops for your
handholding style. The -2 shots are definitely clearer than
the no-AS shost. Very convincing.

How could you have taken more care? Your final paragraph
implies you did not.

The 100-300/4.5-5.6 APO looks increasingly attractive,
being effectively 450mm at the long end.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:52:37 PM

Bill Tuthill wrote:
> Thanks again, very interesting test.

My pleasure. Or actually, I had to satisfy for myself that there was
value in AS, and there clearly is. No big deal to put up a simple web page.

> Does Konica-Minolta antishake always add French synonyms
> to every image? ;-)

Given the propensity of most separatist friendly towns (like mine) to
simply put "ArrĂȘt" and not "stop" at all, there's a certain cachet to
the fact that it says "stop" at all (prev. mayor was Fed friendly,
current one is not). The ArrĂȘt v. stop issue was a symbolic red herring
here in the first separation vote (1980) here.

> In your 80-200/2.8 series, I wonder why the letters are smaller
> at 1/50 second (-3 stops). Did you stand further away?

No. All the shots were taken from the same spot. I did crop these a
bit tighter to fit more columns on the web page (cropped a little too
much, but they serve the purpose). The crop size is approximate from
image to image.

I don't know yet if the 20 or 28mm shots will be taken from my front
veranda or closer. We'll see how it looks.

> I was trying to see whether -3 stops is a reasonable claim.
> Looks like a reasonable value is about -2.5 stops for your
> handholding style. The -2 shots are definitely clearer than
> the no-AS shost. Very convincing.

I can handhold better than that, but I really took care to not take
care. The 100mm shots were taken earlier in the day closer to two stong
cups of coffee. The 200's were a bit later. But the 80-200 is much
heavier as well, so once I had the focus set, I left it alone and shot a
little bit quicker.

> How could you have taken more care? Your final paragraph
> implies you did not.

Brace standing, tighten up my elbows a bit. Control shooting and
breathing... the usual. Franky, I haven't been to the Nautilus in a
long time and it shows when holding a heavy camera/lens combo like that.
I usually have either flash and/or a tripod.

> The 100-300/4.5-5.6 APO looks increasingly attractive,
> being effectively 450mm at the long end.

Could be. I have the 300 f/2.8 and 1.4 / 2.0 TCs... the results of the
300 (w/ tripod) and 7D are very good. With the TC's it's softer as
should be expected.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.