Single Display - Is a 6850 CF Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I'm currently running an asymmetric Crossfire setup with a 5770 and 5750; both cards are overclocked (slight overclock on the 5770 and heavy overclock on the 5750). Performance-wise it seems to be close to the level of a stock 5870.

I have a 22-inch monitor with a max resolution of 1680 X 1050, and my current setup runs most games on "high settings" with no problem. However, I will be moving up to a 1080p monitor next month.

I live in Japan and the strength of the yen has recently made some imported products very affordable so I'm thinking of upgrading to two XFX 6850s. I've been reading reviews and it looks like the 6850 really provides a lot of bang for the buck, but I'm wondering if it is a little too much bang.

Are two 6850s simply overkill for a single 1920 x 1080 display? Should I just stick with my current setup for the time being? I play single player first person shooters and will be delving in to Skyrim sometime soon.

Solution
I would honestly go with the single 6950 in your case. It will offer roughly the same graphics power (maybe slightly less), and also it will keep you from experiencing micro stuttering, that will make the game look horrible.

Basically anything under a 6950 has a higher and higher chance of producing this weird stuttering cause the frames are not produced in the correct time intervals between the two cards and this there is a bit of lag/fps drop in it. Not to mention that two 6850's will be louder and hotter than a single 6950. I would just go with the single card solution. Plus, down the road you can buy another 6950 (really cheap by then) when one won't cut it and make your invesment last longer.

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the quick response.

Initially I was going to go with a single 6950 but the Sapphire and Gigabyte models are the same price as two XFX 6850s over here. ASUS and HIS models are 25-30 dollars more.

Also, I'm a bit worried about trying to cram a 6950 into my Fractal Define R3 case. I have to double check the specs but it will probably just barely fit.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I would honestly go with the single 6950 in your case. It will offer roughly the same graphics power (maybe slightly less), and also it will keep you from experiencing micro stuttering, that will make the game look horrible.

Basically anything under a 6950 has a higher and higher chance of producing this weird stuttering cause the frames are not produced in the correct time intervals between the two cards and this there is a bit of lag/fps drop in it. Not to mention that two 6850's will be louder and hotter than a single 6950. I would just go with the single card solution. Plus, down the road you can buy another 6950 (really cheap by then) when one won't cut it and make your invesment last longer.

Solution

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Just as a quick poke, you can unlock 1gb cards as well :)

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I think I'll end up going with a single 6950 to cut down on heat and noise.

I'll try to hold out for another month and see what the 7000 series has to offer and hope for a small drop in the price of the 6950s.

Status
Not open for further replies.