3 3ghz intel core i5-2500k vs 3 4ghz intel core 17

jadriaans54

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hello,
Under what conditions would an i7 3.4ghz be advantageous compared with an i5 3.3ghz?. Is there much of a cost difference?I do not do gaming, but wish to have 4 screens with currency trading in mind. John.

Solution

For your purposes the only difference would be a slight clock speed increase and hyperthreading on the i7 (meaning it can theoretically handle twice as many simultaneous tasks).

The use cases you provide don't really require either processor, to be honest. Both are overkill. So go with the cheaper one and you will be fine. Are you using web-based currency applications or crunching numbers locally? If you are using web browsers then there isn't much going on locally and you don't need much hardware to do what you...

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Well there's a big cost difference, and think of it this way.

Regardless of how you look at it:
8 threads at 3.4 ghz will trump 4 threads at 3.3ghz.
The i5 is basically the i7 with out hyper threading.

From what i've heard, if cost is an issue go with the i5 2500k and Over clock it to 4 ghz or more.

As for your 4 screens, you need a decent CPU as well as a good GPU.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

For your purposes the only difference would be a slight clock speed increase and hyperthreading on the i7 (meaning it can theoretically handle twice as many simultaneous tasks).

The use cases you provide don't really require either processor, to be honest. Both are overkill. So go with the cheaper one and you will be fine. Are you using web-based currency applications or crunching numbers locally? If you are using web browsers then there isn't much going on locally and you don't need much hardware to do what you want.

Also, any AMD graphics card that supports Eyefinity can handle your needs. You don't need a high end card since you aren't pushing any graphically tasking programs.

Solution

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
The number of screens depends on your video card, get a AMD with eyefinity so you can have many displays. Don't know much about currency trading, but I would imagine it's cpu intensive since you are going through alot of data, I'd go with the core i7. I'd also imagine you would need an ssd for accessing all that data fast and have a responsive experience.