Next-Generation of GPU's

alexburton1990

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Hey folks! How's it going?

I was just curious as to when the next generation of GPU's will be released, and how much better they will be than the current releases?

I am currently running an XFX Radeon HD 6870, and it copes quite well with most new games that i play, but i would really like some more oomph! :p

Is it worth selling my current card and buying a better one (say for around £200-possibly £300) or to wait a while for the next generation of cards?

I would love to be able to average around 60FPS on games such as Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 and Skyrim, all on ultra settings :)

Also, i am not sure if it is the card itself or the inside of my case, but my HD6870 runs at about 47c idle and about 67c load (approx) is this normal? And on my case, i have 3 fans, one at the front, one on the top and one at the back, which are the best for air intake and to blow air out? And how do i know which way the air is going? Should i maybe add another fan on the side?

Thanks in advance guys,

Alex

monsta

Splendid
Yes your temps appear to be normal.
Front fan - intake
Top fan Exhaust
Rear fan - Exhaust
Adding a side fan is a great cooling solution especially for your graphics card.
Just put your hand a couple of centimetres away to see which side is blowing.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Your temperatures seem just fine, so there is no need to add a side fan, cause you will mostly just bring alot of dust in your case.

As for the card itself, I suggest that you either keep it, or just buy another 6870 second hand for about $120 or so and xfire the things. You will get a very nice increase in performance and then when the new cards come out, if there is a single card that beats your dual card setup, go ahead and grab that if you want. Otherwise, just stick with the two cards and enjoy them for a long while.