A8-3850 + Discrete GPU - how far can i go?

Hazle

Distinguished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpfgiQd7WU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_N5bXvowBU&feature=related

if i'm to go for a budget FM1 build with an A8-3850, just how far can i go in terms of discrete GPU choices at stock clock, before one bottlenecks the other? granted, a 6990 was used in one of the vids, though i'm just gonna assume Linus at least OCed it.

and based on the numerous reviews, if i'm to go with a discrete GPU, do i need to bother OCing the DRAM, or does this just affect the onboard GPU?

and just to save myself the trouble later; how does one go about to disabling the onboard GPU? BIOS, Catalyst Control Center, Graphic Options, or Device Manager?

the most i'm hoping for is an HD6950, or a 560Ti, at stock CPU clock. being able to use a next gen Radeon HD7000 or GTX 600, would be a bonus, if all it requires is a mild 200-300mhz OC, or grab an A8-3870K once it becomes cheap, and OC. expecting this one to last me 3 years at most.

also open to suggestion on getting an 1155 build with a g840 + 560ti/6870, if the CPU is fine at stock speed. will upgrade to an i3/i5 much later when i do upgrade the GPU again. no OCing on this path though.

thoughts?

Solution
1- BTW, do not have so low expectations from this build. In a simple way, A8-3850 by itself delivers a great performance. It even plays modern warfare 2 in 1680x1050, high quality settings at almost 40fps with DDR3-1333 memory (tomshardware review)

For an IGP, this is AWESOME (even for some discrete video cards).

Saying this I would say you will get a nice experience even WITHOUT a discrete video card.

2- Ram memory OC -> basically IGP gains only, do not bother if going for discrete card.

3- Disabling IGP should be automatic, just connect your monitor in discrete card output, if needed something more it would be in catalyst control center.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
If you going to buy a system with a discrete card, you shouldn't go for A8-3850. Go for a Phenom II X4 (if AMD) or Sandy-bridge (if Intel) since I think your primary use will be games.
Both CPUs are faster than A8-3850, and I think for the money, you can extract more performance from each my recommendations.

For gaming performance I think you will be better served with Intel LGA 1155. Even the i3-2100 is a powerful CPU for gaming (despite being dual core)

Hazle

Distinguished

would really love to, but the local shops here charge a ridiculous price for an Intel 1155 or AM3 CPU+mobo. most of their choices are limited to the higher tier products. and yes, most of the Athlons cost more than A8 as they never got the memo on all the price drops these last few years. Gaming PC either equates to an expensive Enthusiasts PC, or a real bad, but cheap deal here with nothing in-between.

they've got a somewhat reasonable priced FM1 bundle currently which they're marketing as a multimedia PC. was thinking of grabbing it, sans GPU, and scrounge up enough cash later for a better GPU. especially before they hear how much HDD prices have skyrocketed lately, as they're kinda still 'cheap' here.

online shops a no go, as the few that do ship here costs a lot to ship and add that to the import tax, and the FM1 bundle makes a sweeter deal.

my expectation for this build is very low, and i don't mind gaming at 1680x1050 at medium to high. not exactly a must have, but it's an opportunity i'd like to take.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Where are you from?

kctech

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Vitornob is right, go with an intel 2100 or a phenom 2 of some sort. Preferably not the phenom 840.

If you MUST go FM1 socket, go with an ATI graphics card, because they have the ability to work with the graphics on the cpu. Intel does not, but you will get a much, much faster processor.

As far as how to disable the on board graphics: 1: There are no on board graphics on a FM1 socket motherboard. And 2: simply installing a graphics card will disable on board graphics.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
1- BTW, do not have so low expectations from this build. In a simple way, A8-3850 by itself delivers a great performance. It even plays modern warfare 2 in 1680x1050, high quality settings at almost 40fps with DDR3-1333 memory (tomshardware review)

For an IGP, this is AWESOME (even for some discrete video cards).

Saying this I would say you will get a nice experience even WITHOUT a discrete video card.

2- Ram memory OC -> basically IGP gains only, do not bother if going for discrete card.

3- Disabling IGP should be automatic, just connect your monitor in discrete card output, if needed something more it would be in catalyst control center.

Solution

Hazle

Distinguished

SE asia, in Borneo. to give you an idea just how expensive it can be; Athlon II X2 + 5770 + 2GB of RAM = 700-740 USD. a lot cheaper online at around $550-570 including tax, shipping and transaction fees.

FM1 DIY bundle = ~640 USD. includes an Asrock A75, an A8-3850, 4GB@ 1066mhz DDR3 RAM, and a 450W AcBel PSU which i'm hoping to exchange with something better despite the mark-up. an additional 6870 still costs 438 USD locally, with a 560 Ti costing 40 USD more.

i'd argue with the retailer, but i'm not that desperate.