Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeon 5770 Buzzing Under Load

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2011 11:37:05 AM

Hello all,

Quick question. I have an Asus 5770 that up until a few days ago was working fine, now it makes a sort of buzzing sound under load. I noticed it when playing Skyrim. Whenever I hit ESC to bring up the quest menu, the buzzing stops, but as soon as I'm back to gameplay it returns. It's not completely unbearable or anything, I just want to make sure the card isn't going to explode as I have another 5770 in the mail to complete a crossfire setup.

Has anyone had this kind of problem? Are there any fixes I could do myself?

I'm running the lastest catalyst drivers and the card is out of warranty so RMA isn't an option.

Thanks!
November 17, 2011 12:45:04 PM

Probably a loose fan, check it's mounting screws. When under load the fan will speed up. when it hits a resonance frquency with the "springyness" (not the appropriate technical term), it will rattle.

Tighten up the screws and see if that works.

It could also be a loose bit of cable rubbing agaianst the blades (less likely if it only occurs while gaming). check if there are any in the vicinity and tie them appropriately away...
m
l
November 17, 2011 12:49:35 PM

Are you absolutely sure it's coming from the graphics card and not the PSU?

It sounds like it could be coil whine from your power supply, under certain loads some can create an annoying electronic buzzing noise, not a sign of impending explosion but annoying nonetheless.

My corsair 650w suffers from it pretty badly on some games, uncapped FPS seemed to be one contributing factor.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 12:53:06 PM

Are you sure its you Video card.... Maybe its coming from your Speakers? Does it ONLY happen when playing Skyrim, what about other games?
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:04:27 PM

most likely coil whine, unpleasant but rather common annoyance on Gcards... Mine 5770 does it aswell in some games, not in skyrim though. The noise changes in pitch depending whats on the screen (menus/etc). It's been like that for almost 2 years now, so it's not lethal.

Not sure if you could fix it by putting some glue on the coil wires IF the component package is open on top showing the wires, usually they aren't. Typically the coils (inductors) are gray or black, rectangular and quite thick components. Glueing the outside of the component package is likely futile attempt... I haven't bothered.

m
l
November 17, 2011 1:06:21 PM

Kari said:
Not sure if you could fix it by putting some glue on the coil wires IF the component package is open on top showing the wires, usually they aren't. Typically the coils (inductors) are gray or black, rectangular and quite thick components. Glueing the outside of the component package is likely futile attempt... I haven't bothered.

Would that really fix it? Never heard of anyone doing that before.
m
l

Best solution

November 17, 2011 1:07:31 PM

Its the coils(coil buzz or coil whine) on the video cards power regulation system and is normal(the buzz changes with load so more load, more buzz and the frequency can be all over the place). Some cards do it others do not. The noise will even find its way into the power supply from the video card and motherboard. This is NOT a defect so to speak

Your new game may be pushing it harder then before.

I have owned several boards and 2 video cards that did it

Boards

K8V SE
P5W DH
X58A UD5(turning off power saving solves it here)

Video cards

X1900XT(very loud)
8800GTX

Some companies will RMA over this, but in many cases, you just get another one that is the same. Lucky for my my XFX 5770 does not do this.
November 17, 2011 1:15:27 PM

flaminggerbil said:
Would that really fix it? Never heard of anyone doing that before.

I'm not sure, it has been suggested on the web numerous times so there is likely something to it. And the noise has to come from somewhere, and electricity in itself can't create soundwaves so there should be something vibrating or something like that. So glueing it down sounds plausible to some extent at least...
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:41:27 PM

Best answer selected by bme43713.
m
l
!