Increasing SDRAM memory bus speed to 133MHz

G

I came accross a Compaq presario 7000US 1.2GHz Athlon, 200MHz fsb, kt133 chipset equipped from factory with 128MB pc100. Since the closely related 7000Z model is equipped with pc133 SDRAM from factory, it seemed to be a waste to have the memory bus work at only 100MHz. The motherboard has a jumper labeled [1 2]100MHz/[2 3]133MHz so I replaced the pc100 memory with Crucial pc133 and set the jumper to 133MHz. The PC does not boot (graphic card is not even initialised). Not surprising since I am not sure what the jumper is supposed to do. Any thoughts on the next step.

G

For the record (I got an answer outside of this board), the jumper selects the CPU clock speed multiplier only. Memory speed is auto-detect. Thanks

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
uhm, try switching it back, maybe you killed it, maybe it just doesnt boot at that fsb, try go back to 100

where did all my money go, ahh... [-peep-], forgot that i lived in london

G

Don't be a kid, please (I assume you did not know that :eek:) a regular TB will not run at 133 FSB speed with locked multiplier. You wanted to make yer AMD to run at 1596 MHz just like that? Come on... lower multiplier first, and then try yer trick.

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You can’t really run a 133mhz FSB on the computer if that’s what you are trying to do. However if it is a 4/3 multiplier for the ram then yes it seems logical that you could use pc 133. However I don’t think Compaq uses any logic.

Is the ram you are using Compaq compatible?
What happens when put everything back the way you found it?
Is the dimm in the same slot the old one was? (I know it shouldn’t matter too much but you never know it’s a Compaq)

On a side note it’s a Compaq! Why did you buy a Compaq if you like to play with your computer and upgrade it? Their web page talks more about the different colors it comes in rather than the fact it’s a $1700 computer with a tnt2 video card.

Mbaha

Work is the curse of the drinking class