New Epson 9800: An Art Photographers User Report

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 13, 2005 1:09:42 AM

>Deryck
>
> http://www.josephholmes.com/ne­ws.html

He wasn't exactly neutral about it, was he? To quote, "I have just
made ... the most beautiful set of color prints that I've ever made,
using a new EPSON 44" printer and the new inkset announced today. When
considering all aspects of the resulting prints, I have no doubt that
this is the best system ever for making color prints."
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:09:42 AM

>But with his (Joe Holmes) track record in fine art
>colour printing his is a voice worth listening to.

Yeah, he knows what he's doing ... I've been using his Ektaspace ICC
profile as a working space for years when I scan saturated films since
it's gamut matches transparency film.

If you decide you gotta have one of these new printers then I'd suggest
getting on a couple of waiting lists early ... when the 4000 was
announced in I think summer of 2003 I was eager to get one ... the
dealer I use started taking orders in October ($100 non-refundable
deposit) and I was only # 53 on the list (that eventually reached
almost 200 before units shipped) ... the printer was delayed from
January 2004 to April or so and he only got 4-8 a month for a while so
it wasn't until June 2004 that I got one, and even then I jumped ahead
of 32 other guys when I bought a Canon pro camera from him and he moved
me up. So almost a year from when I heard about the printer to when I
could get one :)  Probably the 2400 will be easier to get, though there
was a shortage of 2200's when they came out as well.

Bill
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:50:36 AM

The message <1115929977.165468.320820@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
from "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> contains these words:

> >Deryck
> >
> > http://www.josephholmes.com/ne­ws.html

> He wasn't exactly neutral about it, was he? To quote, "I have just
> made ... the most beautiful set of color prints that I've ever made,
> using a new EPSON 44" printer and the new inkset announced today. When
> considering all aspects of the resulting prints, I have no doubt that
> this is the best system ever for making color prints."

He is certainly enthusiastic. But with his track record in fine art

!