Sign in with
Your question

Microphone detecting only very loud input

Last response: in Components
April 28, 2012 9:53:26 AM

just installed a new driver for my onboard sound card, and the speakers/sound work fine.
The problem is: my microphone input is only inputting very loud noises.
if I put my mouth on the mic and blow, it inputs that sound, or if I put the mic in my mouth and talk.
but if I just have it in front of my face, it won't pick up my voice, or whistling as loud as I can

I've tried:
uninstalling, and reinstalling driver
switching from the front, and back microphone jacks
microphone test hardware thing
tested different mic (same issue)
punching my wall :3

Motherboard:
MSI 740GM-P25

Driver:
VIA HD Audio Codec Driver v9.7.00.31.110624

Windows XP

Microphone:
Razer Carcharias

I got the driver through an MSI program called:
MSI LiveUpdate 5
April 28, 2012 1:35:00 PM

Turn up the microphone volume in the Sound Control, and make sure that both the inline volume control are turned up, and that nothing is muted.
m
l
April 28, 2012 9:37:32 PM

sk1939 said:
Turn up the microphone volume in the Sound Control, and make sure that both the inline volume control are turned up, and that nothing is muted.

all volumes are turned up and muted, it's not really a matter of volume, more "sound detection". it doesn't pick up any sound until I blow into it or put it in my mouth and talk, and then the volume seems normal.

whistling as loud as I could with the mic at normal position didn't do anything, the microphone didn't seem to recognize the sound.

it may be a part of the system's "noise cancelling" procedures acting over the top... though I don't know much about this...
m
l
April 28, 2012 10:15:10 PM

I would exchange it, or RMA it, since it sounds like it is defective. The symptoms it's exhibiting are that of a faulty pickup.
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:39:00 PM

anyone know if this motherboard has a slot for a dedicated sound card?
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:57:43 PM

Moxz said:
anyone know if this motherboard has a slot for a dedicated sound card?

Assuming they're not blocked by your video card, it has several.

m
l
!