Installed new memory and now windows98 not start.

G

I have a compaq presario 5070 that came with SDRAM 32meg PC100 cas2 and then I installed 64 meg PC100 cas2 with no problem. Yesterday I installed 128meg PC133 cas3 and now windows won't start. It gives me a 164 memory size error. Then the screen will turn white and blue, tan, and purple blocks appear and move back and forth.
I removed the memory I installed and tried it with the original memory. Did the same thing. I went to compaq's site and downloaded a file to update the ROM. I updated it and the computer still will not load windows with any combo of the RAM in there. It keeps doing the same thing. It keeps showing the compaq screen that appears when turning the computer on.
How can I fix this?!!
Andy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To begin with, Cas3 is slower. Try starting the computer with just the Cas3 in and getting into system settup. The should be testing & configuration utility somewhere in there. Run the utlility for memory and see if it works afterwards. If everything runs fine, try installing the old modules after that.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks for responding. When you say system setup do you mean where on compaq you press the f10 key and then a screen comes up asking what language? When you select the language you can configure different things about the computer. One option is you can see the system info such as how much memory, processor, etc.
If this is where you can run the utility, how do I do that because I didn't see anything like that.
Andy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your talking about the right thing. Since I do not work much on Compaqs, I can't give you any of the details, but hey, If I were there, I would be able to figure it out! I think you have the information you need to get started, you' have to figure it out form there. If you are not getting the setup prompt, but it instead tries to boot without prompting, try holding down a key on the keyboard to creat your own keyboard error and see if you get the prompt.

G

I can get the windows to start in safe mode. When I run scanreg from a dos prompt, it says that my himem.sys file is missing. When I look in the windows directory, it is there. My config.sys file has the line in it that it says to check also.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That happens a lot with a memory error. If you can't get into the configuration utility, even with your old memory, I can't tell you much more. Compaq can be weird like that. I certainly hope you do find the configuration utility.

RocKo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I say sell the two pc100 cas3 sticks and keep your
128 cas2 pc133, since your computer will run at the slowest speed of the ram which is cas3 pc100...

224 pc100 cas3 is not as good as
128 pc133 cas2

<font color=red><b>-RocKo</b></font color=red> :cool:

G

I wish this were the case, but the PC133 128meg is cas3 and the 2 PC100 are cas2.

G

Well crashman, I have tried everything to find it. It just doesn't seem to be there. On my old computer(packard bell) I can get to it, but not on this compaq. I've went to their site and that is of no help. Does anybody know how to get into the configuration utility on compaq presarios?
I tried using a himem.sys file from a friend's computer, but it still gives me the same error.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I seem to remember it is the F1 or F10 or F9 key that gets you into the Compaq computer Setup.

Sometimes you can also just hold down a key during the POST until an error is generated.

G

Well I can use the F10 key to get into a setup screen, but it does not have an option to configure the memory.