Sign in with
Your question

PSU wires burnt

Last response: in Components
April 28, 2012 12:01:56 PM

I had this i5 in a biostar mobo running with a generic not very trustable PSU that just burnt the red and black wire while it was working fine for at least 1 month. It happened suddenly as I pushed the power button today.

The question I have is. these wires burnt because the PSU was a terrible bad PSU, some random electrical short or something else? I Just installed other PSU and the PC is doing good so far.

I wonder this because I opened the PSU and the wires were not burned inside, seems like it started to burn from the start of the sata wires to the PSU, the mainboard wires are intact.

Also, this biostar mobo doesn't seems to like voltage monitor softwares because every single software I have shows 12v as 3.7v and others weird voltages none of them show the 12v (they look fine in bios). Anyone have ideas of other sofwares besides, speedfan, hwmonitor, aida/everest ?

More about : psu wires burnt

a c 158 ) Power supply
April 28, 2012 12:17:23 PM

Sounds like you got lucky and didn't kill any components when the PSU died/failed. What are your system specs including the make/model of the new PSU.

If the major HW utilities aren't supporting your mobo, then Biostar may have a utility that will allow you to accurately monitor your readings.
m
l
April 28, 2012 12:55:15 PM

CPU: i5 2300 using IGP HD2000

Motherboard: Biostar H61MGC

Ram:
2GB supertalent 1333 x1
4GB corsair vengeance 1600mhz running at 1333 x1

DVD: Some Samsung writer

HDD: WD 500GB Sata Caviar Blue

The PSU I have is not good because the 12v rail sometimes drop till shutdown so I just used it to test the PC for a while, it's a Corsair TX750 V2.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 28, 2012 1:03:05 PM

That Corsair has a 5yr warranty; if the 12V rail is dropping like that then RMA it.

If you're using integrated graphics in your system and don't plan on upgrading, then a good 300W PSU is sufficient to power your rig. The Antec EA380D is more than sufficient and would be a great options for less than $50. Are you planning on installing a GPU? If yes, then what is your planned upgrade?
m
l
April 28, 2012 1:30:25 PM

The PC is doing fine with the IGP but maybe in the future (not near) I can install something better, like an ATI 6870 or maybe better if prices drop with the arrival of new GPUs.

But do you think the burnt wires was just a PSU failure nothing to do with the hardware? a malfunction? Imagine I buy a new PSU and then the same thing happens.
m
l
April 28, 2012 2:26:25 PM

Rugger said:
That Corsair has a 5yr warranty; if the 12V rail is dropping like that then RMA it.

If you're using integrated graphics in your system and don't plan on upgrading, then a good 300W PSU is sufficient to power your rig. The Antec EA380D is more than sufficient and would be a great options for less than $50. Are you planning on installing a GPU? If yes, then what is your planned upgrade?

Corsair won't RMA unless the tolerance drops -4% =

11.5v for 12v
3.16v for 3.3v
4.8v for 5v

Standardized tolerances:

m
l
April 28, 2012 2:37:52 PM

That PSU actually dropped twice to 10v when I was using it in my PC just on desktop, but I need some way to check the voltage in that biostar motherboard because other way I cannot check the voltage and a multimeter wont help much because it doesnt have a log.

I wonder if the biostar motherboard will shutdown the PC like my asus mobo did when voltages dropped.
m
l
!