Worth upgrading AMD Athlon 64 X2?

YaaR21

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hello everyone,

My trusty old system has been with me for a few years but age is starting to show. I'm not much a gamer, but I do some audio editing (nothing heavy) and I have recently been playing some StarCraft 2. Now it runs pretty well, but things do get exceptionally choppy when there are a lot of units at the same time (not necessarily when they are on the screen, but if there's a ~100 around I get basically 1 fps).
I've been looking to upgrade my system. A new one is out of the question at this point in time. Current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
4GB of ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT

Nothing high end, I know! A friend suggested upgrading the processor and came up with a vendor that still has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ in stock.

Would this upgrade help in anyway or would it be a better idea to save a little and buy a more modern system? I would regret doing so as it would mean buying a new motherboard, processor, RAM and possible graphics card, which I think is a waste, as normal things run just fine on this system.

Thanks in advance!

jeffredo

Distinguished
Whats your motherboard model number? You may be able to upgrade to a Phenom II or Athlon II which would be a lot better than an X2 6400+ (which I had once and wasn't much better than the X2 5200+ it replaced).

Ah, beat me to it, mate.

I was going to add the same thing/info. A friend of mine put a Phenom II X4 955 C3 stepping into his AM2 MoBo from an Athlon64 X2 6400 as well. It's quite the upgrade I'll tell you right away. I did it from an Athlon64 X2 4400 (s939) to my current Phenom II X4 965 (AM3+) and it IS a huge huge upgrade.

Cheers!