graphics card getting very hot

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I have the xfx 9800GT single slot card for awhile now and have noticed it gets very hot starts at 85C in idle.While surfing the net and watching videos it goes to 99C.this is without playing any games. I've opened the system and did compressed air to remove dust but that hasn't helped. The fan is running I know xfx run hot but didn't think this hot.I emailed xfx and haven't gotten a reply. my guess is the card is going bad. any suggestions. I thought about replacing the card but not sure what to get since I have a Athlon 64 X2 4200+. can't really afford to upgrade the processor. also 600 watt power supply. If I upgrade the card I'll have to save so might be about 3 months before I could and don't want to spend no more than $150. don't really play games on the pc but like having the option.

Solution

think of it in this way: as it is the card is no use to you, so it can't get any worse even if you mess it up some more :D
And it's a rather small task, just unscrew some little screws, take the heatsink off, wipe the bottom of the heatsink and top of the gpu chip clean with some non-flint paper or coffee filters, use some isopropanol if necessary (also make sure there's no dust in the fins), spread some new TIM on the gpu (or use 'the line' method across the gpu) and screw it back together. And if you dont get it right (and good temps) the first time, try it again. And dont forget to plug the fan wire back in.

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

That is the number speedfan gives. and yes it's celsius. the computer case feels hot where the card is.

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

first time using gpu-z but it gives 2 temps one list 99C and the other list 92C while watching youtube videos.

Kari

Splendid

think of it in this way: as it is the card is no use to you, so it can't get any worse even if you mess it up some more :D
And it's a rather small task, just unscrew some little screws, take the heatsink off, wipe the bottom of the heatsink and top of the gpu chip clean with some non-flint paper or coffee filters, use some isopropanol if necessary (also make sure there's no dust in the fins), spread some new TIM on the gpu (or use 'the line' method across the gpu) and screw it back together. And if you dont get it right (and good temps) the first time, try it again. And dont forget to plug the fan wire back in.

Solution

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

thanks for the suggestion but will either be bottlenecked by my processor?

andrewofpr2

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
85oC is way to high for idle, my Zotac Geforce GTX460SE 1GB is 27oC idle. Maybe you could take off the GPU heatsink, clean it and reseat it with fresh thermal paste like Arctic silver

kisa72

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I had a GTX 260 which recently died on me (regular lock ups), which I believe was caused by long term overheating. I monitored the temp and it would get up to high 80's (e.g 89) often while gaming. Used various fan speed controllers to increase the GPU fan speed, but it still got into the 80's. Recently bought a repayment GTX 550Ti (single fan) and had the same heat problem.

SOLUTION
Ended up adding 2 extra fans to my case, one that continually runs slowly (sucking out the back) and another high speed fan (sucking out the side) that has a simple temp controller on it ($8 ebay). Needed the speed controller as the fan is deafening at full speed and now you barely hear it. Ever since I've installed the fans the GPU never gets above 69C. Made a big difference.

TRENDING THREADS