Sign in with
Your question

Computer restarting under stress

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2012 5:35:11 PM

My recently new computer restarts without warning and no BIOS error screen while playing very stressing games such as Skyrim or Starcraft 2 on relatively high settings. I am under the impression that the underlying issue is the power supply but I cannot be for sure and would love some opinions. Here are my PC specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core i5-2000 CPU @3.30GHz 3.60 GHz

16GB ram

AMD Radeon HD 6900 series

1200 Watt power supply

The power supply should be able to handle this system, so I am quite bewildered as to what and where the problem lies. Thanks!
January 15, 2012 5:42:04 PM

True, it has more than enough power, but it still could be defect. Your best bet would be to hook up a different power supply and see if the same problem occurs.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 5:42:53 PM

which PSU do you have?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 5:44:27 PM

Heat and or power are the likely culprits. What make/model of PSU are you using? Also, what heatsink/fan are you using on your CPU? Are you overclocking your GPU or memory?

If you drop your CPU back to stock speed, does the system stabilize? Last, how are you monitoring your system temperatures?
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 5:49:24 PM

Seemingly random reset/reboot cycles during high graphics loads (games) is one of the symptoms of inadequate power.
January 15, 2012 6:22:38 PM

Try running a stress test with a temperature monitor on. If it goes over 80 C, you have another problem. If it reaches close to or over 100 C, then there's the source of the problem.
January 15, 2012 6:27:04 PM

Just opened my case and my PSU is an ATX 1200 watt from Ace series. I performed Furmark and Prime-95 and both cases had similar results. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Another interesting bit of information is I can not recreate a crash which leads me to believe its either a memory or power supply issue. http://i.imgur.com/kTzE9.jpg
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 6:33:58 PM

Goober10011 said:
Another interesting bit of information is I can not recreate a crash which leads me to believe its either a memory or power supply issue.

Try testing your ram using memtest86.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 7:59:02 PM

Goober10011 said:
Just opened my case and my PSU is an ATX 1200 watt from Ace series. I performed Furmark and Prime-95 and both cases had similar results. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Another interesting bit of information is I can not recreate a crash which leads me to believe its either a memory or power supply issue. http://i.imgur.com/kTzE9.jpg

Did you run the tests with the case cover off or on?
January 15, 2012 8:16:21 PM

I ran the tests with the case cover on. Why?

Thanks for all the answers so far!! Going to run memtest now.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2012 9:31:41 PM

Goober10011 said:
I ran the tests with the case cover on. Why?

Thanks for all the answers so far!! Going to run memtest now.

Sometimes, when you have a heat problem, you can remove the case cover to create better airflow. If that is the case, you can tweak how your fans/cables/layout are configured to cool better. That does not seem to be the case with your rig.

You didn't answer the overclocking question from earlier.
January 16, 2012 1:09:54 AM

COLGeek said:
Sometimes, when you have a heat problem, you can remove the case cover to create better airflow. If that is the case, you can tweak how your fans/cables/layout are configured to cool better. That does not seem to be the case with your rig.

You didn't answer the overclocking question from earlier.

I actually haven't overclocked the CPU at all which is what worries me. Thanks for the help so far.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 1:56:16 AM

Your temps look ok (not great, but ok). Try your tests (and monitoring temps) with the side off of your case.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 1:57:12 AM

BTW, are you using the stock Intel OEM heatsink or an aftermarket one?
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 12:02:32 PM

Goober10011 said:

Sorry, that's a psu shaped object, not a real psu.
It's the same as this, with a different skin and a higher labeled rating :pfff: 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
!