Sign in with
Your question

First mini-ITX build, wondering if everything checks out

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2012 5:46:00 PM

Hey everyone, decided to build my first computer, and wanted it portable as I move around a lot. Found the Lian Li PC-TU200 case, loved it. Here's the build I want to put in it, just want to be sure everything works. This would be primarily a gaming comp, I play mostly Starcraft 2 and such, but might get Battlefield 3, and would like the build to be able to handle higher graphics settings. I am very much new to this field and the following are what I gleaned from a 14 hour power session starting from zero knowledge whatsoever. I think it's all compatible, but I have doubts due to no experience. Please let me know!

Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67CFB3 LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit

HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

PSU: Silverstone Strider ST60F-ES

-Haven't looked at RAM yet, but that is straightforward in comparison.

Let me know what you think, if there's anything amiss.. Would love constructive feedback

More about : mini itx build wondering checks

January 16, 2012 12:21:53 AM

According to the specs, everything should fit. You are allowed 300mm for a vid card and that one is only 210mm.

However, even with a 140mm fan in front, I would think heat may be an issue, or the fan will be working hard making it kind of loud.

As for ram, even after all these years, Intel boards are still kind of picky. You can double check the approved list over at Intel, but the general rule of thumb is you can buy any brand of ram you want for an Intel board as long as it's Kingston value ram. In this case DDR3 1333. I am assuming you are going for the current standard of 8gb. If so then this will work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Other than that you should be good to go.
m
l
January 16, 2012 12:39:06 AM

I Invested alot of time on the Mini Itx Gaming pc concept, Sadly its too big for me.

change Gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Difference Between Normal gtx 560 and Ti version, is like 30%. For 20 Dollars, I take it. Why Go With I5 2500k, When you Shouldnt Be Overclocking In the Case, Unless you have a Water Cooling System Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8Q6n5C_wA

Everything is Nice and Solid Just Change the Cpu To the 2400 and you are good to Go, Theres this Intel Q67 Motherboard with sata 6 and usb 3.0, it has really good reviews and its Rock Solid. try to find it.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2012 12:48:41 AM

Get the 560TI or 560TI 448 core if you want higher graphics settings. O/C'ing a 2500K would be a little tricky in a 1 fan case that small. You can still O/C a 2500K with a stock HSF up to maybe 4GHz but CPU temps may limit that.
m
l
January 16, 2012 1:40:32 AM

chulex67 said:
I Invested alot of time on the Mini Itx Gaming pc concept, Sadly its too big for me.

change Gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Difference Between Normal gtx 560 and Ti version, is like 30%. For 20 Dollars, I take it. Why Go With I5 2500k, When you Shouldnt Be Overclocking In the Case, Unless you have a Water Cooling System Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8Q6n5C_wA

Everything is Nice and Solid Just Change the Cpu To the 2400 and you are good to Go, Theres this Intel Q67 Motherboard with sata 6 and usb 3.0, it has really good reviews and its Rock Solid. try to find it.

The i5 choice was mostly cost, mixed liberally with almost no idea which CPU is right for this particular job.. Wasn't really planning on doing any O/C, would like a unit that handles it with minimum mucking about. With the CPU, is the 2500K just more than I need for this? What is the advantage to the 2400?

I have looked up a couple CPU coolers, as I've heard these little cases are bad for heat issues.
m
l
January 16, 2012 1:48:34 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Get the 560TI or 560TI 448 core if you want higher graphics settings. O/C'ing a 2500K would be a little tricky in a 1 fan case that small. You can still O/C a 2500K with a stock HSF up to maybe 4GHz but CPU temps may limit that.

Thanks for that tip, I think I can swing some bucks towards getting that one
m
l
January 16, 2012 6:02:31 AM

The only Reason people choose the I5 2500k over the I5 2500 or i5 2400 is because is Unlocked, you can OC to 4.5 and its very easy, The i5 2400 Would be perfect For you and Wont Bottleneck a Single Gpu like a Gtx 560 Ti , Its Perfect For your needs In gaming.

If money is not a problem, go for the I5 2500. Without the K.

I always Build Future Proof, This time i didnt because next year im starting to work so i will be able to build my Elite rig. :D . If you think you can Spend More money in the next months like adding an SSD or a Watercooling system to your Rig, then, I would definitly go for the unlocked I5 2500k.

Why would you Overclock your Cpu.

1.- For Fun
2.- Because
3.- More speed in Programs.
4.- More Fps From your Games.

m
l
!