Sign in with
Your question

Constant Freezing

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2012 6:19:38 PM

I have an HP p6540f Desktop and lately I have had a lot of trouble starting the _____ thing.
When I turn it on, a lot of times the orange HD light does not come on, so I have to turn it off, then on again. Sometimes several times and not without giving the computer a good bang! (I mean I hit it).
So I am thinking it's the HD and now I wonder if the best thing, and fastest thing to do would be to make an image a la Ghost and put it on a new HD.
Would that work? I have a lot of files on other HD in various places around the house, so I want to know if Ghost just does an image of the one drive so that I can just take out the old HD and replace it with the new one.
Are there any other imaging programs at a cost that is much less then Ghost?
Is Ghost good?
Also, I checked all connections, replaced the SATA cables, put them in different slots on the MB.
Thanks for reading.

More about : constant freezing

January 15, 2012 6:25:39 PM

Oh yea, the freezing thing. A lot of times I am just getting started on the computer and it will freeze within five minutes after I have finally started the computer and so I have to hold down the button for ten seconds, then try the restart all over again. Sometimes it freezes several hours later, and sometimes after more then five or six programs are running.
And no, it doesn't freeze because I live in Canada!...
m
l
January 15, 2012 8:40:01 PM

does your hdd make some clicking sound? it does sound like a hdd issue, it could be the psu giving bad voltage... mmm
Ghost is alright, but why not just copy over the files? Freezes are usually motherboard related btw, bad hdd will give you bsod... usually.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2012 8:50:23 PM

What are your system specifications?
m
l
January 15, 2012 9:06:55 PM

Sounds like a bad power supply to me.
m
l
January 16, 2012 7:27:26 PM

My Powersupply is a OCZ ZS 550W
Motherboard:
MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3)
Manufacturer: ECS
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 4 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM2+
Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

I don't hear any sounds from the HDD, just frustrated with the whole thing.
Maybe I'll make my own,
m
l
!