Case/GPU Concerns

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hey all, I'd really appreciate some advice.

I've recently just purchased all the parts to make my first build. Exciting for me! I don't know why, but with the parts coming tomorrow or Tuesday, I suddenly had an urge to look over everything again. Well, it turns out that I had good reason to.

Case:
NZXT Gamma
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061&Tpk=gamma%20classic%20series%20atx%20mid%20tower

Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510&Tpk=gigabyte%20ga-990xa-ud3

GPU:
GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385

So here's my issue. Upon looking at it again, the GPU is 11.4" long. The case, states that it supports large cards, over 10 inches long. I don't know why, but I read that as 12 inches long several times (mind playing tricks? Maybe...). Either way, it never states the exact internal dimensions of it all. I've been chatting with some guy on YouTube after watching a video where he had a 12 inch 5970 that just barely (and I mean barely) fit. That put me at ease a bit, but I'd like a second opinion. Can anyone confirm or deny that this will or will not work? Thanks again guys, please put my heart at ease!

Solution

This is true, and while i know high end cards don't use the full capabilities of PCIe 2.0, the PCIe 1 slot might slow it down some. This is just conjecture on my part, as I really don't know, but the 6950 could be held back by being in a pcie 1 slot.

mingwyo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
The case dimensions are 20.00" x 7.48" x 17.68". You should be fine. Those 3 fan designs are long...but I think it should fit. If not - and I could be wrong here - I think I've read that sometimes a small piece of the casing can be removed to shorten it.

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's going to fit, but it's probably going to be a photo finish! I know this isn't the most scientific approach, but I took 20 and found out that 60% of that is 12 inches. Then I took a screen shot of the Gamma opened up, and cropped it down to just the case (included the zig zag cover on the front in case that was included in their dimensions). From there, I went into paint and cut the width down to 60% and it looks like it might fit...HA!

I'd love to hear from someone with a gamma or if they would be willing to measure from the back of the case to the bays and give me the actual internal dimensions.

mingwyo

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Haha...very macgyver. Hope it works. Good luck.

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
By the way, this is one of the videos that I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yI8L2SxnQ&feature=plcp&context=C37391c1UDOEgsToPDskJ23XjMZPSbGaHtgqwUNFvd

The card he's using is 12 inches long and appears that it would work. Let me ask you this; Does the mobo determine which PCI slot you hit on the back of the case, or is it pretty uniform? Reason I ask is that his appears to hit a place that allows the card to fit where the smaller floppy drives would go. Since I'm getting a different mobo, is it a possibility that mine would sit higher or lower than his?

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Don't most motherboards say that you need to use a specific PCIE slot unless you're running SLI?

jeremyp1979

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

This is true, and while i know high end cards don't use the full capabilities of PCIe 2.0, the PCIe 1 slot might slow it down some. This is just conjecture on my part, as I really don't know, but the 6950 could be held back by being in a pcie 1 slot.

Solution

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Thanks for the info. I'd still love to hear from someone who has a gamma and could measure for me. I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run, as the case is coming and I'm going to try either way :D

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Well, here is some good news:

A guy on a forum I'm a part of said that he's got a gamma with a 10.5 inch card and there is room to spare, so I should be cool. He posted pics and it looks A-OK.

Thanks for the info everyone.
BPB