GraN1988

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Hello,

I have installed an NAS and set up the FTP account and so on. When I access the FTP site locally it all works well. Bu when I try to access my FTP through he internet, he login becomes invalid.

Any help please?
P.S - I am using DDNS

Have you setup your site to be seen outside your local network? You did not give much details about your setup here to go on. Is your NAS in a rack, in a home NAS box, built on a PC? What connection have you made to get outside access to the network? Can you connect to the FTP site at all from outside and the only issue is that the user and password are not accepted?

GraN1988

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the NAS is a home NAS box. The connection works fine internally and even through the internet. When I access the FTP using the local network all works normally. The issue is when I access he FTP from the internet. I am able to connect to the FTP server but the login gets denied.

I set a DDNS and a redirection from my domain to the ddns domain.
Could it be that I have to supply something else with the username.

I mean.. instead of admin, admin@domain.com or admin@ddnsurl.com or admin@homeip.com ?

Unless you have a domain, you should not, but try to do this:
For username put in servername/username, that will tell the FTP server to authenticate you using the local account you setup, as long as that account exists on the FTP server.

GraN1988

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for your email. It still did not work.
But I noticed something else now.

1. FTP Connection from Internal Network : OK
2. FTP Connection on internet IP : OK
3. FTP Connection from DDNS domain : OK
4. FTP Connection from Custom Domain : Invalid Login

I set server.mydomain.com to redirect to ddnsdomain.com. Any idea why it is not working on m custom domain?

GraN1988

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Now using the nslookup I discovered the problem. When I try to connect to the FTP using server.mydomain.com (which is redirected to my DDNS domain name), it is not connecting to the FTP Server on my NAS but the FTP Server on my Hosting.

Any idea how I can solve that?

Do you actually have a domain setup? Or is the mydomain.com your ISP domain? Your DNS configuration, is it internal or did you register with a outside DNS service?

Have you setup your router to passthrough a port to the NAS? You probably also need to place the NAS in the router's DMZ so it can be seen from the outside.

You may want to contact yoru ISP to get this configured.