Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Slow boot time

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 15, 2012 11:52:52 PM

Hi everyone

I need help with my computer, I build it some time ago with an HDD and the POST messages appear between 1 to 3 seconds.

Recently I bought a SSD sata III, so I had to enable the Marvell Storage Controller to take advantage of the full velocity, the problem is that now POST messages take about 15 seconds to appear :o  I don't know if I'm missing something in the configuration of the Marvell Controller...

Note: the SSD works very good with reads up to 450 MB/s. The OS boots pretty fast, no problem here :D 

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-e LX
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2
HDD: Can't remember... Western Digital 5200rpm

More about : slow boot time

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 12:05:12 AM

Try disconnecting your CD drive. Let me know if anything changes.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 12:22:18 AM

Thanks for the response Raiddin, I use an external drive with USB connection. I don't have an internal one because I rarely use it (I have everything on ISO's or in the cloud)
Score
0
Related resources
January 16, 2012 12:31:16 AM

your computer might be trying to boot from usb ports before internal hard drive. i had a laptop last year that would take for ever to boot up if i had any usb storage plugged in.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 12:37:21 AM

well the drive is not connected all the time just when I need it, and the boot priority is set to the SSD first ;)  I really don't know what to do...
Score
0
January 16, 2012 12:49:45 AM

now that I think of it, the SSD is connected to one sata III port, but the HDD is connected to a sata II. Maybe connecting them both to sata III ports will do something... What do you think?
Score
0
January 16, 2012 12:50:53 AM

try it
Score
0
January 16, 2012 12:59:17 AM

nothing, still 15 seconds... :( 
Score
0
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 1:01:54 AM

It is worth trying.

One thing that often slows the computer down is a large amount of potential boot devices, especially CD drives. Even worse the older the drives are.

I had a CD drive that uses IDE and it would take 10 or 15 minutes to boot with this thing connected. I took it out and it would start up in 10 seconds.

That is just how it goes sometimes.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 1:11:39 AM

I haven't really check every option of the BIOS, I'm kind of new to this version (my other computers had a different BIOS layout). However I think I have everything well set up, it wasn't until I turned on the option of the Marvell Controller that I stared experiencing this problem. I'm pretty sure that if I disable the Marvell Controller, everything will get back to normal, but the speed will decrease a lot
Score
0
January 16, 2012 1:15:45 AM

David8922 said:
I haven't really check every option of the BIOS, I'm kind of new to this version (my other computers had a different BIOS layout). However I think I have everything well set up, it wasn't until I turned on the option of the Marvell Controller that I stared experiencing this problem. I'm pretty sure that if I disable the Marvell Controller, everything will get back to normal, but the speed will decrease a lot


If you have another available Sata 6g/s port try it, there have been lots of issues with slow bios posting/boots with the Marvel controller.

Score
0
January 16, 2012 1:20:01 AM

Yeah I just did it, right now both drives are connected to sata III ports, but it didn't work
Score
0
January 16, 2012 1:30:48 AM

David8922 said:
Yeah I just did it, right now both drives are connected to sata III ports, but it didn't work


Did you set the drive to AHCI mode in the bios ?
Score
0
January 16, 2012 1:34:11 AM

jeremyp1979 said:
Did you set the drive to AHCI mode in the bios ?

yes, the mode is on AHCI
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:05:02 AM

I read the link but the problem is not with the drive itself. After POST messages it will take like 10 seconds to get the OS ready to go (which is very good). The problem is the time it takes to the POST messages to appear (~15 seconds) after I turn on the computer
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:15:58 AM

Stupid question which you've probably already covered... but is quick boot enabled ? Sorry for posting these questions so slowly, I'm trying to research the problem and keep up with toms forums at the same time.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:19:40 AM

haha :D  is a perfectly valid question (I have had some problems in the past because of that), but yes it is enabled
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:31:21 AM

David8922 said:
haha :D  is a perfectly valid question (I have had some problems in the past because of that), but yes it is enabled

See how it does if the SSD is the only drive in your system, connected to first the marvel controller, and then the sata 2 controller.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:36:23 AM

Are you using the 1602 bios version?
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:47:00 AM

I was trying what you tell me, this are the results

if I connect the SSD to the sata II port (with or without the HDD) the time lowers to ~10 seconds. If I connect it to the sata III port without the hard drive nothing happens

jeremyp1979 said:
Are you using the 1602 bios version?


yes, the mobo came with that version
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:50:05 AM

Another stupid question, did you turn the marvell controller back on in the motherboard before/when trying the ssd on the sata 3 port ?

Check to make sure your ide detect time out is set to 0
Score
0
January 16, 2012 2:51:12 AM

Scratch the IDE detect time out bit, was looking at the wrong part of the manual.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 3:07:05 AM

jeremyp1979 I did what you said,

As I suspected, disabling the marvell controller did the trick, but now the sata III ports don't work (which is why I turned it on in the first place). So it seems I have 2 options work with the drive at half speed or enable the marvell controller and wait every time I turn on the computer.
Score
0

Best solution

January 16, 2012 3:14:00 AM

If it were me personally, I'd leave it in the sata 2 port. This is going to pushing the limits of your ports, but bottle necking your SSD. I'm quite stumped honestly, with the SSD performing at near or equal to advertised speed in benchmarks, we know it has to be some sort of conflict in the bios that is causing the issue.

Perhaps set the bios to defaults, reset the cmos and start from anew ?
Share
January 16, 2012 3:28:31 AM

who cares? its just boot time and the drive is working fine within windows. i see no problem
Score
0
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 3:35:27 AM

I am as much of a big fan of fast boot times as the next person and I lived with 15 minute boot times for years.

As long as everything works beautifully when it is in the OS, that is all that really matters.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 3:37:58 AM

sata II seems to be performing better (15-20 seconds) than sata III + boot delay (~25 seconds), I think I will disable the marvell controller since the main benefit (for me at least) from having it enable is a <10 sec OS boot, it is a shame though. Maybe asus will release a BIOS update or something that fix this.

And yeah the drive on sata III is very fast!! I was quite surprised too :) 

Anyway, thanks for your help!!
Score
0
January 16, 2012 3:42:16 AM

Raiddinn said:
I am as much of a big fan of fast boot times as the next person and I lived with 15 minute boot times for years.

As long as everything works beautifully when it is in the OS, that is all that really matters.


Though I agree with both of you to a certain extent, if something isn't working as intended in my system, or my car, or any mechanical thing i have at home, I like to figure out what it is and fix or replace it as needed. I'm quite possibly in the minority here, and it probably comes from my career(I'm an auto mechanic), but it really bothers me when something is not working the way it should, even if the negative impact is "acceptable".

As the sata 2 port is lowering the throughput of the drive, it is negatively impacting the performance of his system, albeit probably not by a large amount. Either way, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work(which probably irks me as much as having something that doesn't work correctly)
Score
0
January 16, 2012 3:51:57 AM

Best answer selected by David8922.
Score
0
January 16, 2012 4:29:14 AM

jeremyp1979 said:
Though I agree with both of you to a certain extent, if something isn't working as intended in my system, or my car, or any mechanical thing i have at home, I like to figure out what it is and fix or replace it as needed. I'm quite possibly in the minority here, and it probably comes from my career(I'm an auto mechanic), but it really bothers me when something is not working the way it should, even if the negative impact is "acceptable".

As the sata 2 port is lowering the throughput of the drive, it is negatively impacting the performance of his system, albeit probably not by a large amount. Either way, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work(which probably irks me as much as having something that doesn't work correctly)



i suggested leaving it in the sata 3 port thus not hurting performance. at 25 seconds thats still half the time of a mechanical drive.
Score
0
!