Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Poor connection on 24 pin hurt anything?

Last response: in Components
April 28, 2012 9:25:17 PM

I have been attempting my first computer build. After troubleshooting extensively I decided to replace the PSU (brand new Ocz zt 550w fully modular 80plus bronze) and discovered the 24 pin cable doesn't seat fully into the PSU unit. Could that have damaged my new motherboard?

It wouldn't post, nor spin the fan on CPU.
April 28, 2012 11:31:31 PM

THanks for the reply. I already determined the psu was causing issues (not enough or inconsistent power because of poor connection)
I bought a pcp& cooling 750w 80+ silver to replace it, I'm also swapping out the CPU (i7-2600k) because it was only running on 1 core 1 thread according to cpuiz....
My question is did the psu damage the mobo, and will that damage my new CPU? (all components are new)
Thanks again for your help.
m
l
Related resources
a c 90 ) Power supply
April 28, 2012 11:40:56 PM

Visualiser said:
THanks for the reply. I already determined the psu was causing issues (not enough or inconsistent power because of poor connection)
I bought a pcp& cooling 750w 80+ silver to replace it, I'm also swapping out the CPU (i7-2600k) because it was only running on 1 core 1 thread according to cpuiz....
My question is did the psu damage the mobo, and will that damage my new CPU? (all components are new)
Thanks again for your help.

The motherboard has safeties and will sacrifice itself in order to save the CPU. This means that if the motherboard is functional, then all is well. Good that you got a new PSU.

When you install the new CPU make sure that no pins inside the socket are bent.
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:03:13 AM

Lol i hear ya there! I did look for bent pins when i removed the cpu, didn't see anything...but since i have to take the mobo off the tray to install my heatsink I plan on looking with a magnifier. I was super careful with the install though, this cpu wouldn't initiate its internal graphics (with the first motherboard) with this new one (sabertooth z77) i got it to post once with the onboard graphics & only a sata dvd plugged in, then plugged in sdd, hdd, no post ....nada. newegg is sending me a replacement cpu. I now think most of my component issues were because of this faulty connection.
m
l

Best solution

a c 90 ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 1:03:19 AM

Visualiser said:
Lol i hear ya there! I did look for bent pins when i removed the cpu, didn't see anything...but since i have to take the mobo off the tray to install my heatsink I plan on looking with a magnifier. I was super careful with the install though, this cpu wouldn't initiate its internal graphics (with the first motherboard) with this new one (sabertooth z77) i got it to post once with the onboard graphics & only a sata dvd plugged in, then plugged in sdd, hdd, no post ....nada. newegg is sending me a replacement cpu. I now think most of my component issues were because of this faulty connection.

You are doing things right! Good luck!
April 29, 2012 1:45:02 AM

Best answer selected by Visualiser.
m
l
a c 90 ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 1:45:52 AM

Thank you!
m
l
!