Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sound Issue

Last response: in Components
Share
April 28, 2012 9:31:59 PM

Hello everyone
I have an hp media center PC m7350n and I have upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, I also installed a new graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6450. When I was working on Windows XP my front panel audio was working for my headsets and microphone. Since I've upgraded my headsets and microphone don't work anymore. I tried many different things but didn't work. I first checked the connections inside the PC then I upgraded to the last Realtek HD driver, I looked in the bios nothing there to be done, I don't even have an option for front panel. The only option I have is onboard audio- auto/enable and disable which only works on enable. Then I looked in Realtek audio manager and the front panel connectors are greyed out or lighter than all the other connectors. When I plug in my headsets and microphone nothing happens and speakers still work. I checked mark disable back connectors when headsets are plugged in and nothing changes. The only change I have is when I check out mute microphone boost I have a squelching sound in my headsets. All the forums talk about Bios and front panel enabled and alc97 which I do not have as an option. Please help or I will go crazy after 1 month of reading all forums and trying every possible option that doesn't work.

More about : sound issue

April 28, 2012 11:09:08 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

The audio driver needs to be installed for Windows 7. Check and see if one is available. If not, try using the XP driver, or the Vista driver from the manufacturer's site (HP, as well as the headset manufacturer).
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 11:38:25 PM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

The audio driver needs to be installed for Windows 7. Check and see if one is available. If not, try using the XP driver, or the Vista driver from the manufacturer's site (HP, as well as the headset manufacturer).


Hi Ubrales
I have the latest audio driver updated for Windows 7, any other suggestions are welcomed.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2012 11:43:31 PM

Bobby64 said:
Hi Ubrales
I have the latest audio driver updated for Windows 7, any other suggestions are welcomed.

Try checking the headset on a different computer. Make sure that nothing has damaged it during the changeover.

You seem to be doing the right things.
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 11:55:17 AM

Ubrales said:
Try checking the headset on a different computer. Make sure that nothing has damaged it during the changeover.

You seem to be doing the right things.



Hi Ubrales

I tried three different headsets and the all work on other pc's
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 1:59:13 PM

Bobby64 said:
Hi Ubrales

I tried three different headsets and the all work on other pc's

You have done some good trouble-shooting. Looks like the last thing to try are the connectors and wiring in the case. By upgrading the OS from XP to Win7 I don't see why connectors could get loose or go bad, but coincidences do happen.

Let me see whether I can get some additional resources to help you out. Hang in there!
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 2:32:33 PM

Does your new video card have an HDMI output on it? Sometimes when you install the drivers with a new video card it enables the HDMI as default sound output. Go to your sound menu on the taskbar and confirm that the HDMI is not enabled as default sound output.
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 2:53:45 PM

When the "Speakers" tab is selected, have you clicked on "Set Default Device"?
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 2:56:02 PM

Open the tray icons and right click the Realtek speaker and left click "sound manager"... at the top right there's "Device advanced settings" - left click this. It'll open up a box and check "Mute the rear output..."

Now, go back to the tray and right click the speaker again and pick "audio devices"... make sure the right playback device is selected as default.

m
0
l
April 29, 2012 3:52:29 PM

RussK1 said:
Open the tray icons and right click the Realtek speaker and left click "sound manager"... at the top right there's "Device advanced settings" - left click this. It'll open up a box and check "Mute the rear output..."

Now, go back to the tray and right click the speaker again and pick "audio devices"... make sure the right playback device is selected as default.


Hi russwood,

I've tried all of the above and it doesn't work. What bothers me is that in realtek manager the front panel connectors are not as bright as my back panel connectors. digital and analog.
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 3:53:15 PM

Onus said:
When the "Speakers" tab is selected, have you clicked on "Set Default Device"?


yes jtt
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 3:55:15 PM

stickg1 said:
Does your new video card have an HDMI output on it? Sometimes when you install the drivers with a new video card it enables the HDMI as default sound output. Go to your sound menu on the taskbar and confirm that the HDMI is not enabled as default sound output.


Hi Stick

I have deactivated HDMI to make sure that it is not the cause of all this.
m
0
l
!