16 gig geil ddr3 black dragon ram 4x4
300gb wd raptor 10000rpm
(2) 120 gb wd raptor 10000 rpm
(2) evga gtx 560 ti 448 cuda gpu sli
zalman cnps20lq water cooler system
(3) cyclo thermal take fans hdd cooler
(2) ultra kaze 120mm fans
(2) 25cm case fans

now ive heard from people all i need is 550w to i need a 1200w ps im looking at a max budget for 300$ any ideas would help.

Solution

I am the type that feels better with some headroom. The power supply is at the heart of the system and in my case even though all calculations and guides tell me 700 watts, I went with a Corsair HX850 Modular PSU. Running flawlessly for over two years! That is worth a lot to me! I don't think it is overkill.

Check prices for HX750, HX850, then decide.
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

fleamonkey

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

so in other words if i plan to oc which i do at least useing the unlocked multiplier im looking for at least a 1000w ps?

I am the type that feels better with some headroom. The power supply is at the heart of the system and in my case even though all calculations and guides tell me 700 watts, I went with a Corsair HX850 Modular PSU. Running flawlessly for over two years! That is worth a lot to me! I don't think it is overkill.

Check prices for HX750, HX850, then decide.

Solution
I don't know why so many links and quotes while the problem is so clear and easy.

@OP
All you need is a true quality branded 650W PSU if you're going to overclock every nail in your system. 750W PSU if you wanna SLI/CF the high end cards in the future.
so in other words if i plan to oc which i do at least useing the unlocked multiplier im looking for at least a 1000w ps?
You're gonna add 250W for the CPU to be OCed @ 4.0 GHz? :O
The max OC for all Phenom II CPUs is 4.0 GHZ...anything beyond that is not stable and require custom cooling.