ninjapi3

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if GDDR is any different (compatibility wise)
I am currently using an older computer that Im going to upgrade with a EVGA GeForce GTS 450 and a 500w power supply (havent decided what brand to buy yet)
My CPU is an Intel duo 2 e4500 @2.20ghz and 2gb of ram.
Also, Im using my dead laptop's hard drive (yes its working in the desktop like a charm)
Since the hd being from a laptop, will that mess anything up?

Thanks

Mess anything up? Let hope not!
It would be a bit undersized and maybe a slower rotation speed but other than that the HD will do just fine.

GDDR is graphics card memory, that's what the G designation is for. Typically we are talking about a discrete video card that has its own memory and does not need to share system memory.

The DDR2/3 memory used in desktop computers is system memory that is used for pretty much everything else. If a system is lacking a discrete video card then this ,memory will be utilized by an onboard graphics solution and shared with system memory. Or rather the system memory is shared with the graphics sub system. This is not ideal for a gaming system as discrete cards are more powerful than the integrated solutions offered and the cards also will also have faster access to their own memory.

If you're currently running WIN7 or plan to move to that soon, you'll want to upgrade system ram to at least 4 gigabytes.

ninjapi3

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Thanks for that detailed response. So to my understanding, the G in DDR only really means that it is for a graphics card, right? Why are there other cards that just say DDR2,DDR3,ect? Are they just the same thing? And right now, I dont have the money to upgrade from Vista to 7. I wish I did though.

TRENDING THREADS