Sign in with
Your question

Do cpu's really effect gaming performance?

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2012 2:55:54 AM

I have a computer that i just built today and everything fit except my cpu so i had to stick with a pentium d 2.8 ghz
My Comp specs:
Pentium d 2.8 ghz
4gb ram
gts 450 1gb gddr5
320gb hdd
When i first started a game up i was expecting a slow fps because of my cpu but to my suprize i actually ran mw2 and mw3 max setting with a minimum 45 fps and average 60 to 70.
So my question is does a cpu really have that much effect? Im just curious.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2012 2:58:49 AM

Depends on the game. Some games will see a FPS in the tens of numbers. Others won't see any. However, with a powerful enough GPU, just about any processor from the last 7 years can play games with at least 30 FPS.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:05:55 AM

phyco126 said:
Depends on the game. Some games will see a FPS in the tens of numbers. Others won't see any. However, with a powerful enough GPU, just about any processor from the last 7 years can play games with at least 30 FPS.

So games that arent super cpu intensive will run with good fps? for example how do you think this would run bf3?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2012 3:09:58 AM

phyco is rigth and the resolution is also a factor, the greater the res the less the cpu will be stressed so if you´re playing at high res your cpu won´t affect perfomance that much
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:12:13 AM

pit_1209 said:
phyco is rigth and the resolution is also a factor, the greater the res the less the cpu will be stressed so if you´re playing at high res your cpu won´t affect perfomance that much

Well i play at 1024x1024 i think... and im actually kinda surprised to hear that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2012 3:12:16 AM

and bf3 is a very gpu demanding game as i´m concerned and that gpu will handle it at modest res and medium/high settings
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2012 3:15:49 AM

http://www.guru3d.com/article/battlefield-3-vga-and-cpu...

check that review and at the last part ¨Now 1920x1200 is the most preferred monitor resolution (next to to 1920x1080). Here's where the CPU starts to matter less and less, and where the GPU gets increasingly more important. The irony is always the same, bang for buck wise a cheapo CPU will get you the better deal. Hence for hefty gaming the graphics card is way more important then the processor.¨

so you can see for yourself buddy XD
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:17:03 AM

pit_1209 said:
and bf3 is a very gpu demanding game as i´m concerned and that gpu will handle it at modest res and medium/high settings

yeah its a about a mid-range gpu... its more for like mainstream resolutions.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:19:43 AM

pit_1209 said:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/battlefield-3-vga-and-cpu...

check that review and at the last part ¨Now 1920x1200 is the most preferred monitor resolution (next to to 1920x1080). Here's where the CPU starts to matter less and less, and where the GPU gets increasingly more important. The irony is always the same, bang for buck wise a cheapo CPU will get you the better deal. Hence for hefty gaming the graphics card is way more important then the processor.¨

so you can see for yourself buddy XD

hmm intresting... it didnt seem like much of a difference at all!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 139 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2012 3:20:16 AM

Yep, it really depends on the games. Here's some benchmarks to show you. The first link is Bf3 and you can see all cpus had the same fps. But the 2nd link is skyrim and the better the cpu, the more fps.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...
These examples only use 2 threads so here's a 3rd link showing swtor using 4 cores.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-te...

As seen in the bf3 benchmark, it is gpu intensive so your cpu will be fine and the 450 is able to play high at 1680x1050 averaging 31 fps so will be fine at your res.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:25:29 AM

k1114 said:
Yep, it really depends on the games. Here's some benchmarks to show you. The first link is Bf3 and you can see all cpus had the same fps. But the 2nd link is skyrim and the better the cpu, the more fps.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...
These examples only use 2 threads so here's a 3rd link showing swtor using 4 cores.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-te...

As seen in the bf3 benchmark, it is gpu intensive so your cpu will be fine and the 450 is able to play high at 1680x1050 averaging 31 fps so will be fine at your res.

Ok thanks for the read. I guess it just depends on the game.
And since i run at a lower resolution i should be good (:
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:32:46 AM

Sounds like you are running 1024x768 as I've never heard of 1024x1024 though it could exist I think, I've seen stranger res on monitors before. Even at that, it is a very very low res and will not tax any computer component even remotely modern.

The single hardest thing a computer has to deal with is higher res, over aa/ occlusion or anything. And if you were running low res such as you are the gpu can handle the rendering with ease but needs the info from the cpu to tell it what to render. At a higher res a card could be working so hard it isn't ready for what the cpu sends at all times. Though if you get a more powerful card that can handle it with ease again the cpu could bottleneck the gpu's function.

Also, as pit has mentioned bf3/mw and with many shooter games, they are designed to utilize a lot of gpu with relatively little cpu power. The modern warfare games barely tax a machines resources at all compared to other games from what I've seen as well. Being a multi-platform pc/console game they want it to run smoothly on anything.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:36:01 AM

Yes CPUs have an effect. Everything your computer does goes through your CPU. For many games, the graphic settings you choose are largely GPU dependent, but I don't think a pentium d is going to cut it in bf3. You can try it out, but I think you'll be disappointed.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:36:35 AM

lemlo said:
Sounds like you are running 1024x768 as I've never heard of 1024x1024 though it could exist I think, I've seen stranger res on monitors before. Even at that, it is a very very low res and will not tax any computer component even remotely modern.

The single hardest thing a computer has to deal with is higher res, over aa/ occlusion or anything. And if you were running low res such as you are the gpu can handle the rendering with ease but needs the info from the cpu to tell it what to render. At a higher res a card could be working so hard it isn't ready for what the cpu sends at all times. Though if you get a more powerful card that can handle it with ease again the cpu could bottleneck the gpu's function.

Also, as pit has mentioned bf3/mw and with many shooter games, they are designed to utilize a lot of gpu with relatively little cpu power. The modern warfare games barely tax a machines resources at all compared to other games from what I've seen as well. Being a multi-platform pc/console game they want it to run smoothly on anything.

well i dontt actually believe its 1024x1024 .. i just don t remember it but i know it ends with 1024.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2012 3:45:33 AM

Probably 1280 x 1024.

Hapkido, you'll be surprised by what a good GPU can do. My friend threw a high-end GPU in his 4 year old (at the time) P4 computer. Sure I got better frame rates than he did because I had a E8400 (same video card), but there wasn't a game out there he couldn't play at 40 FPS (Well, aside from Crysis....)
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:49:02 AM

phyco126 said:
Probably 1280 x 1024.

Hapkido, you'll be surprised by what a good GPU can do. My friend threw a high-end GPU in his 4 year old (at the time) P4 computer. Sure I got better frame rates than he did because I had a E8400 (same video card), but there wasn't a game out there he couldn't play at 40 FPS (Well, aside from Crysis....)

yes it was 1280x1024. Well im probably going to upgrade my cpu in a bit because its old but its good to know i will still be able to play my games until then :D  If i do get bf3 b4 i upgrade ill probably post here so u guys can see how well it preforms.
m
l
!