Rundll32 windows host process

awesomeguy206

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hello,
Hi i have a computer that was running fine for a year or so, but now its been a couple of days and after an hour or two of use, it slows down and finally freezes. I dont know what it is. The clues i have include:
-ive run memtest86, no errors.
-ive scanned the whole system with 4 different virus programs, so not a virus.
-but ive noticed that rundll32.exe has been using ALOT and i mean ALOT of resources. After a couple hours, norton tells me that it has high disk and cpu usage. i checked core temp and voila, 100% on all 4 amd phenom 955 cores. I dont get it. Please help me.
Specs are:
Amd phenom 955 be
4 gb crucial 1333
ati 5450
1tb hitachi hdd

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
This program is part of Windows, and is used to run program code in DLL files as if they were within the actual program. However, many viruses also use this name or similar ones. This file is also commonly used by spyware to launch its own malicious code.

Note: The rundll32.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, rundll32.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

Virus with same name:
W32.Miroot.Worm - Symantec Corporation
Backdoor.Lastdoor - Symantec Corporation
Trojan.StartPage - Symantec Corporation

Have you been using Rkill before you complete a virus scan?
What programs have you been using to scan the system, are they up to date?
Is windows up to date?

awesomeguy206

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for the fast reply mate! Anyways, yes, windows is up to date and so are the virus scanners which are: Norton antivirus, avast, malwarebytes and i forgot the other one sorry. Since i dont know what rkill is ;p i dont think ive been using it.
I just noticed that rundll32 is not even running now. But i ended the process last boot seeing if it would help.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Ok, so, some virus can stop anti malware from picking them up.

RKill is a program developed at BleepingComputer.com that was originally designed for the use in our malware removal guides. It was created so that we could have an easy to use tool that kills known processes that stop the use of our normal anti-malware applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes so that anti-malware programs can do their job.

Rkill Download Link:

http://download.cnet.com/RKill/3000-8022_4-75221743.html

(Secure Cnet)

So....

Install this click run.. and once there is a notepad thingo saying "stopped known malware applications" you then smash the Pc with a Malwarebytes full system scan. Make sure it's up to date...

This will be more likely to pick up virus. If this does not work I'll think of something else lol.

pranneetth

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

i have stopped rundll windows host process.how to start it again?