Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading computer

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2012 6:15:47 AM

Hi guys,
I'm going to upgrade my system to 64 bit and install a new motherboard and ram, I was wondering what your opinions are on what I picked, and if your recommend upgrading anything else. I do video editing and moderate gaming. How would the 8800 gts handle hd gaming?

My current setup:
Amd phenom II x4 955 Processor
Gigabyte Ga-Ma770-Ds3p Motherboard
nvidia geforce 8800 gts
2x2 DDR2 ram
Windows 7 32bit
Old CRT monitor

Planning on upgrading to:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
16gb of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram
1920 x 1080p 20-24" monitor
Windows 7 home 64bit

looking to only spend around $500 for everything.
Thank you for your input.
:D 

Just fixed my old 22 inch lcd monitor, so don't need a monitor anymore.

More about : upgrading computer

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 7:57:33 AM

You wont see much performance increase from changing the motherboard . Perhaps even none at all .
I do get that your new board uses DDR3 and thats far more available , but its not worthwhile upgrade IMO .

Get an Intel i5 2400 [ or better ]

Mb with a Z68 chipset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x 4 gig of RAM

and win 7
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 8:39:21 AM

You need a new GPU first of all. Not DDR3 and not an i5.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 6:57:01 AM

FinneousPJ said:
You need a new GPU first of all. Not DDR3 and not an i5.

Thank you for answering so quickly! What gpu would you suggest?
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:02:05 AM

Outlander_04 said:
You wont see much performance increase from changing the motherboard . Perhaps even none at all .
I do get that your new board uses DDR3 and thats far more available , but its not worthwhile upgrade IMO .

Get an Intel i5 2400 [ or better ]

Mb with a Z68 chipset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x 4 gig of RAM

and win 7

Thank you for answering so quickly! So you recommend doing a switch over to intel, is that cpu that much better then my current one? Should I buy a new gpu first, I don't do that heavy gaming. Thank you!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 7:29:35 AM

In my opinion.
Replacing your x4 955, mobo and/or your DDR2 RAM will not give any big performance boost, unless if your are upgrading to Intels 3930k or better.
Getting a better GPU like HD6850/6870/GTX560/560Ti and/or an SSD is a far better choice at the moment, along with adding more RAM if you feel need it.

See my system, my system should have about the same status as your system.
before I replaced my HD3850 and added Crucial m4 128 GB.
Edit: replaced also my PSU from 450W to 750W for future upgrades :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 9:48:15 AM

Tom's has two charts that are helpful when it comes to balancing out CPU and GPU. If you find your CPU on the Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart, you will see that it's near the top, third tier. On the other hand, your graphics card is just above the middle of the Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart. This means you should get a better graphics card right now. It's easy to select one---just get the best one you can afford. You can upgrade the rest later if you want, but you will get a giant boost from a card now.

EDIT: Be aware that some say you should upgrade to a graphics card at least three tiers higher on Tom's chart for a satisfying improvement.
m
l
January 25, 2012 5:31:40 PM

I don't really feel like I need to upgrade my video card yet, because the gaming I do is not that heavy at all and the card handles just fine right now. I wanted to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit and ddr3 ram, so I figured I might as well change my motherboard right now, instead of reinstalling a fresh copy then having to buy another one later. I think I am going to get:

Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard (that supports sli), I was thinking about the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 or ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 Intel P67 Motherboard. I am open to suggestions.
Corsair Vengeance 16gb ram
Hyper 212+
Windows 7 home

I was also thinking about getting another 8800 gts to do sli, would that be worth it?
Thank you so much for your help!
m
l
!