Florida holiday.....can I buy a pay as I go sim card?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
September 7, 2004 7:04:14 PM

Im holidaying in Florida soon, is it possible to buy a pay as I go sim card
and simply discard it when my holiday is over.

Using English prices it would be far cheaper to do this for an American
coming here, will it work for a brit going there?

Ron
September 7, 2004 7:46:29 PM

On 07 Sep 2004 15:04:14 GMT, Ron <public.rec.wood@charmoll.co.uk>
wrote:

>Im holidaying in Florida soon, is it possible to buy a pay as I go sim card
>and simply discard it when my holiday is over.

T-Mobile has prepaid "pay as you go" available from their corporate
stores. You can also find people selling already activated "T-Mobile
To Go" or "Easy Speak" (old name for their prepaid plan) for less than
you could get them at the corporate stores. You could use this in
your unlocked tri-band phone. I believe cingular also sells prepaid
SIMs, but be cautioned that cingular uses GSM 850 which is not
commonly found on phones sold in Europe where a tri-band will often
have 900/1800 and 1900. T-Mobile uses 1900 exclusively. Instead of
just discarding your card you could sell it (like on ebay) and get
some money back for it. I'm sure someone would like to get a prepaid
account at discount.

September 7, 2004 9:29:26 PM

T-Mobile will do it and has pretty good coverage in the Tampa Bay area.
Not sure of where else. Cingular also will sell a SIM, but they are more
complicated to deal with than T-Mobile. Your phone will need to have the
1900 band on it to work on T-Mobile. As I recall, you can get about 300
minutes for $100 US or so from T-Mobile.

If you go with Cingular, it might be best to have a quad band phone if I
understand their network properly. They are supposed to have some GSM on the
850 band in Florida.

Enjoy your visit, though bear in mind that the last two hurricanes have
caused a lot of disruptions here. Be sure your travel agent verifies that
everything you want to do is working.

--
Thomas M. Goethe

!