CPU runs 10C above what it should: Problem?

Hey all. I have been struggling with CPU temps for a long time now and I believe I've narrowed down its cause but I wanted to ask the community if what I'm experiencing is really abnormal or simply typical.

My computer's case has excellent airflow, especially in regards to the CPU heatsink so it's not that the case is containing air.

Right now I'm experiencing, on my C2Q Q9550 at stock speeds (I downclocked temporarily from that in my sig), 54C temperatures. This may not seem like much, but I've just checked the review for my heatsink and found that I should be experiencing ~42C at full load (Ambient temp is ~23C, idle at ~30C).

My question is have I missed something? I'm relatively new to computers and my experience troubleshooting them is restricted almost entirely to this one so I may be getting worked up over nothing.

Thanks in advance,

GA
8 answers Last reply
More about runs should problem
  1. It is not at all an issue.

    Only you make to make sure :-
    1)Try cleaning all your air windows and heatsink.
    2)Apply a new thermal paste may be your thermal paste have dried up which is giving a 10C more heat as a result.

    This temperature is not that hot because you still hav some Celsius left to reach the maximum which is 71.5C.
  2. aviral said:
    It is not at all an issue.

    Only you make to make sure :-
    1)Try cleaning all your air windows and heatsink.
    2)Apply a new thermal paste may be your thermal paste have dried up which is giving a 10C more heat as a result.

    This temperature is not that hot because you still hav some Celsius left to reach the maximum which is 71.5C.


    Agreed. And I found using a quality paste like Arctic Silver does make a difference...
  3. aviral said:
    It is not at all an issue.

    Only you make to make sure :-
    1)Try cleaning all your air windows and heatsink.
    2)Apply a new thermal paste may be your thermal paste have dried up which is giving a 10C more heat as a result.

    This temperature is not that hot because you still hav some Celsius left to reach the maximum which is 71.5C.


    I know it's within reason still but I'm asking because of a lot of other stuff I didn't mention in the OP because it would make it too long.

    Basically when I overclock temps rise another 15C+ (I never see where it stops because I stop the test before it gets that far). OK, normal enough, increased clock speeds and voltage does that. Here's the thing though: I've purchased a new heatsink, purchased two 2000RPM 120mm fans posting one right behind the heatsink and one directly in front (in the drive bay), purchased a 220mm fan for the side of the case, and cleaned up all my cable management. The 120mm fan in the drive bay has a direct shot to the heatsink.

    Aside from replacing the heatsink, nothing changed my temps at all. When I installed the fan directly behind the heatsink, nothing changed. When I installed the one directly in front, nothing changed. Whether the 220mm fan is installed or not makes no difference.

    I've experienced something like this before when my PSU burnt out my graphics card.

    I would also mention that if I overclock, regardless if its 100MHz or 1000Mhz, .025 extra volts or .045, temp immediately jumps to 70C+.

    So while the temps might be within specs, I'm wondering if something else is wrong.
  4. guardianangel42 said:
    I know it's within reason still but I'm asking because of a lot of other stuff I didn't mention in the OP because it would make it too long.

    Basically when I overclock temps rise another 15C+

    I would also mention that if I overclock, regardless if its 100MHz or 1000Mhz, .025 extra volts or .045, temp immediately jumps to 70C+.

    So while the temps might be within specs, I'm wondering if something else is wrong.


    When an overclocking is done it always result in extra heat emissions from processor.So you need not to worry for the heat which is generating but the point of worrying is that the heat generated should be wiped out or maintained just like when it use to be at stock.

    May be your heat sink is not fine enough to give you the overclocking feature.All heat sinks are not at all good enough to provide a really efficient cooling.

    Will you please provide me a link of your heatsink?
  5. Please provide me your system details as well?
  6. aviral said:
    Please provide me your system details as well?


    They're in my sig. Like I said, the temps jump unreasonably, there is no progression from what I have in the OP to what I get.

    Troubleshooting temps isn't why I'm here. I'm just wondering if a 10C difference between what I should be getting and what I am getting is normal. The specific heatsink I have is rated by FrostyTech to provide a margin of 19.0C between ambient and generated. I'm getting a margin of 29.0C. All I want to know is if that sort of difference is normal (all other things being equal; I've gone through every step to eliminate possible causes).
  7. guardianangel42 said:
    They're in my sig. Like I said, the temps jump unreasonably, there is no progression from what I have in the OP to what I get.

    Troubleshooting temps isn't why I'm here. I'm just wondering if a 10C difference between what I should be getting and what I am getting is normal. The specific heatsink I have is rated by FrostyTech to provide a margin of 19.0C between ambient and generated. I'm getting a margin of 29.0C. All I want to know is if that sort of difference is normal (all other things being equal; I've gone through every step to eliminate possible causes).


    The margin is not an issue because until or unless overclocked processor is below maximum Tj.The conditions of reviews are just an estimate in their condition checking and it differs from place to place as well.So you don't have to worry at all for those extra 10C.But make sure the temperature should not rise above Max Tj.

    If you can control the speed of processor then increase its speed you will get better results or equivalent results to the reviews.

    In simple if temperature is less than Tj maximum just use your system without worrying.
  8. Hi :)

    When a manufacturer says "with my heatsink/fan your cpu WILL run at XX degrees"...

    They are talking utter bulls**t...

    All are different...cases, airflow etc etc...

    All the best Brett :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cases Heatsinks