Upgrade from sandy to ivy for price of a heat sink and junk

G

hey guys, a friend of mine wants to buy a lot of my computer gear, including an old hard drive, case, i5-2500k, z68 gigabyte mobo, 8gigs of ram, zalman heat sink, case lights and fans for about $500

basically I am getting rid of some things that are laying around, and parts from my main system.

I can upgrade to an Asus rogo mobo, i5-3570k, and replace the ram for about the same price. basically I can upgrade for the price of a heat sink and get rid of things that are taking up space in my house.

I know i5-3570k isn't much an improvement over i5-2500k, but I really would like native PCI-E 3.0, native USB 3, integrated graphics (if I upgrade in the future I might want to use as an htpc) the added functionality of an rog board, micro atx form factor, UEFI, a board that supports integrated graphics, mSATA. basically features I missed out on with my gigabyte board and future proofing.

should I keep my i5-2500k or go ivy for the price of a heat sink which I plan on replacing anyway

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
you do realise that a gtx 680 can't saturate a pci-e 2.0 slot, let alone a pci-e 3 slot.
Z68 boards do already support on board gpu's.
I'd save my money and enjoy plenty of years out your great set up.
Wait for haswell chips.