EOS 20D Firmware Upgrade

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 13, 2005 2:47:41 AM

When you go to the Canon site and look for the Firmware upgrade for
the 20D does it just display the same page? What's the secret to
actually downloading the Firmware? Tried it with Foxpro and IE... no
luck...

Thanks for any assistance...
--------------------------------
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 2:49:14 AM

Errr... Foxpro = Firefox :)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:47:41 -0700, Leith Cassone <LCassone@usa.net>
wrote:

>When you go to the Canon site and look for the Firmware upgrade for
>the 20D does it just display the same page? What's the secret to
>actually downloading the Firmware? Tried it with Foxpro and IE... no
>luck...
>
>Thanks for any assistance...
>--------------------------------

--------------------------------
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:01:55 PM

On 5/13/05 12:49 AM, in article ftf88197jf6q61unr8mlhse6pvsqlgjb80@4ax.com,
"Leith Cassone" <LCassone@usa.net> wrote:

> Errr... Foxpro = Firefox :)
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:47:41 -0700, Leith Cassone <LCassone@usa.net>
> wrote:
>
>> When you go to the Canon site and look for the Firmware upgrade for
>> the 20D does it just display the same page? What's the secret to
>> actually downloading the Firmware? Tried it with Foxpro and IE... no
>> luck...
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance...
>> --------------------------------
>
> --------------------------------
Two suggestions: Do you have popup blocking turned on? For some of Canon's
download pages popup blocking must be off for them to work. Also, firmware
downloads are available from this site -
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html

Chuck
May 13, 2005 9:28:52 PM

Leith Cassone wrote:
> Errr... Foxpro = Firefox :)
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:47:41 -0700, Leith Cassone <LCassone@usa.net>
> wrote:
>

>>When you go to the Canon site and look for the Firmware upgrade for
>>the 20D does it just display the same page? What's the secret to
>>actually downloading the Firmware? Tried it with Foxpro and IE... no
>>luck...
>>
>>Thanks for any assistance...
>>--------------------------------
>

> --------------------------------

Read the disclaimer and them get the download.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:28:53 PM

Perhaps I am missing something...

www.canonusa.com Downloads>Consumer

From the dropdowns... EOS>EOS Digital> EOS20D

On the resulting page there are links for Drivers/Software and
Product/Software Manuals... Below in the Additional Downloads section
is the Brochure, Firmware, SDK.

When I click on the Firmware link a window opens and immediately
exits. I allow cookies and Pop-ups on the site. I never see a
disclaimer. Do you access the firmware in the same fashion?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:28:52 +1000, "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Leith Cassone wrote:
>> Errr... Foxpro = Firefox :)
>>
>> On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:47:41 -0700, Leith Cassone <LCassone@usa.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>When you go to the Canon site and look for the Firmware upgrade for
>>>the 20D does it just display the same page? What's the secret to
>>>actually downloading the Firmware? Tried it with Foxpro and IE... no
>>>luck...
>>>
>>>Thanks for any assistance...
>>>--------------------------------
>>

>> --------------------------------
>
>Read the disclaimer and them get the download.

--------------------------------
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:42:31 AM

I have to temporarily disable Norton Firewall to access any of the Canon
download sites. You might try that.

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
> On 5/13/05 12:49 AM, in article
> ftf88197jf6q61unr8mlhse6pvsqlgjb80@4ax.com,
> "Leith Cassone" <LCassone@usa.net> wrote:
>
>> Errr... Foxpro = Firefox :)
>>
>> On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:47:41 -0700, Leith Cassone <LCassone@usa.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When you go to the Canon site and look for the Firmware upgrade for
>>> the 20D does it just display the same page? What's the secret to
>>> actually downloading the Firmware? Tried it with Foxpro and IE... no
>>> luck...
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assistance...
>>> --------------------------------
>>
>> --------------------------------
> Two suggestions: Do you have popup blocking turned on? For some of Canon's
> download pages popup blocking must be off for them to work. Also,
> firmware
> downloads are available from this site -
> http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html
>
> Chuck

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:39:59 AM

For what it's worth, it didn't load for me the first time. Got stuck at 94%.
After 10 minutes at 94%, I finally pulled the battery [which was the only way to
get any reaction - pushing buttons and even switching the power 'off' had no
effect].

I pulled the CF card, re-inserted the battery, only to find it stuck on the 'CF
card containing firmware is needed to update' screen. I didn't get the
documented error screen, nor could I get back to 'normal' operation.

I pulled the battery, re-inserted the CF card that it apparently was expecting,
re-inserted the battery, and got the 'Update firmware xxxx -> 2.0.0 Yes/No'
screen again -- only this time, it said 'Update firmware 2.0.0 -> 2.0.0'. So I
said 'no' [expecting to get back to normal operation with 2.0.0 actually already
loaded], but instead it just came back to the 'CF card containing firmware is
needed...' screen.

So next time around with the card in place again, I said 'yes', held my breath
as it crept up to 94%, but this time, it went up to 100% just fine.

Seems like everything's ok. Version reads 2.0.0, everything appears to work
properly. and all my settings seemed to be retained along with the clock.

Sure was scary though...

[and yes, I had the lens removed and a body cap attached the whole time.]
!