Fresh build and looking for help

Naterbomb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Alright, I'm going to try and do this by the 'book' and answer all questions up front right away about what you'll be 'working with'. This build is not complete [hence the help request]. I'd also like to ask to please refrain from asking me why I bought one item over another. I'm almost positive that what I've bought here will make no sense to some and I'm also sure that if I had asked for help in the beginning, I could probably have saved a few hundred hairs.
I bought this all in anticipation of building a new computer because [strike]I've finally landed a job where I can afford it[/strike] [irrelevant personal reasons] and its my first one.

I take full responsibility for being a dumbass should anything go wrong.[:fisshy:2]

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced (Dimensions: 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50") (Cooling: 1 x 140mm rear fan, 1 x 230mm front red LED fan, 1 x 230mm top fan, 1 x 230mm side fan)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
RAM: G.Skill Sniper [2x4GB]
PSU: Corsair CX600 V2

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I want to make this purchase as soon as I can. This week would be ideal but I'm not sure how Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals fare for video cards so let me know upfront if I should hold on till then for your recommendation.
BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) [Before / After Rebates]: Honestly, thats a tricky question right now since I'm looking at an SSD as a boot [Crucial M4 64GB @ $119.99] so around $150-$200 ($250 MAX) Before rebate please.
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
1 - Blu-Ray movies hooked up to my TV through HDMI
2 - Gaming. I'm not going to be playing a massive amount of games [Skyrim, NBA 2K series & POSSIBLY the Mass Effect series to name a few] to start but I do want to be able to play those on the highest settings where possible.
3 - Adobe CS Master Collection/Video Editing
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: None. Wherever you're able to find one with least amount of shipping works for me.
PARTS PREFERENCES: Honestly, I've looked at both nVidia and AMD/ATI to find differences in features and I couldn't tell you one way or another which one is superior. Whichever works best with my setup/usage. Brand-wise, I'd like to keep it in the area of MSI, XFX, Gigabyte or ASUS if possible. If not, no big deal.
OVERCLOCKING: MAYBE. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to crank up the card to 11 so by all means, if you've got a reason, let me hear it.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Another tricky topic. I'm currently on an ACER AL1916W with a supported resolution of 1440x900@75Hz but again, I'm also going to be hooking up to my TV with a supported resolution of 1920X1080 through HDMI. I plan on upgrading my actual monitor in time but for now this will unfortunately be what I work with.
Hopefully this gives you guys/gals a pretty good idea of what I'm working with and what I want to do. I will answer any/all questions the best I can. Thank you for your help. :hello:

Naterbomb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Nothing personal, but I kinda need some better advice than just to read 7 reviews. Why should I pick it over another brand of 6950? What does this have that a 6970 doesn't? Does nVidia have a similar card for cheaper? I'm trying to put some serious thought into this because it's going to last me at LEAST 5 years.

Start here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067.html

Narrow down your budget a little more closely, then come back.

And because sosofm mentioned it, here is jsc's primer on How to Read newegg Reviews:
newegg reviews can be very useful. You just need to know how to read them.

First, total the one and two egg reviews. If there are more than 20% or at most 30% bad reviews, skip the product.

Then read the bad reviews. They will fall into three categories: those written by newbs and "don't have a clue" people, those who found shortcomings that may or may not apply to you, and those that indicate a truly bad product. Pay close attention to the second and third categories.

If you see 100% 5 eggs ratings, you are looking at review inflation. People buy something and it works. Then they give the thing 5 eggs. As far as I am concerned, "just working" deserves an average 3 egg rating.

Here's a good example (personally relevant to me) of review inflation: the 81% 5 egg rating for the Antec 900 case (one of the first "gamer cases - excellent cooling). It is also a dated design - lots of screws. I would give it no more than 4 eggs because of the truly awful cable management. And I own three of them - all modded ... for better cable management.