OS installation question

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I'm getting "Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (Full) - System Builder (OEM) version - DVD" and I'm wondering how many times can I use it? I'm currently helping my dad build a cheap PC and I am planning to build my own in the future. I'm hoping to be able to reuse the installation CD for my own build. Can someone clarify this for me please? Many thanks :)

isamuelson

Distinguished
Wintermint, that's the whole point of OEM. It's cheaper because it's meant for system builders who build computers and sell them to others with an OS installed. It's expected to only stay with that machine and not be transferred to another.

Whether you buy OEM or Retail version of Win 7, it is still one license so you can only install it one computer. Each will only have one product activiation key which can only be used on PC at a time.

OEM version requires you to contact Microsoft for permission to "release" the key so that you can perform a reinstallation of Win 7 either on the same PC or a different PC.

The Retail version allows you to re-install as many times as you like on either the same or a different PC.

If you install Win 7 on a different PC while the activation key is still "active" on the original PC and you attempt to use the same activation key, then you will likely get an error message stating the key is already in use. You will be able to use Win 7 for 30 days without an activation key. Based on what I've read, I can be extended upto another 90 days, but after that...

I am currently using a buddy's copy of Win 7 to evaluate whether or not I want to upgrade from Win XP.