Monitor Display during gaming

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello everyone.

I just have a question about a problem with my monitor while gaming. There are times when I'm playing Battlefield 3 or even any other video game that my monitor experiences invisible horizontal lines. I was wondering if it could my monitor not having a high enough refresh rate, graphics card problem, or drivers problem? Please, let me know if any of you are familiar with this issue and know how to resolve it. Thank you.

Monitor: HP 2009M 60hz
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (driver up-to-date)

other specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor
12 GB RAM PC3-10600 MB/sec
750 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm
Corsair 550VX Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

If you need more information, let me know. Thanks again!

dalaran

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not sure I understand what you mean

A picture or clearer explanation of the issue might help

What exactly is happening?
- Some part of the screen is staying black?
- You see weird lines appear through the image?
(This might be tearing, consider enabling vsync)
- Is it static (always at the same place) or it moves

Does it happen outside of gaming? When playing a video for instance.

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I understand that it's difficult to understand without the screenshot but I don't think I will be able to provide the screenshot..it happens so quickly that there is no way for me to capture it.

It seems to only happen while gaming and it's usually while running or when using the mouse to look around at a fast pace. It also occurs during cut scenes in some games (ex: Darksiders, BF3). The lines run horizontally and up and down the screen but do so very quickly. No blackout occurs and I have not experienced it outside of gaming.

How do you enable "Vsync"? Is this available for all monitors?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Check your VSync and AA settings.... look in your video card settings... I think I know what you mean... like an invisible sword cuts through the screen causing the image to skew ever so quickly

VSync isn't a monitor setting, its in your graphics settings.

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
i have my settings set to High and I get between 30-45 fps in BF3 and about 45-60 fps in Darksiders since it's not online. those are just estimates so I could be wrong..I haven't tested it in quite sometime.

I'm on my laptop at the moment so I will get back to you with more accurate readings once I have a chance to get on my desktop.

lol and you're right about the ninja's..

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
ok, i have a question about the VSync and AA settings. If i turn them on will it push the graphics card that much more and result in higher temps. in other words, will it be considered as "overclocking?"

This is what the settings look like at the moment:

Top-half of settings:

top-half.jpg

Bottom-half of settings:

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/RoboRoooob/bottom-half.jpg

should i just set them all to "Quality?"

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
no it will not be considered "overclocking"... but it may result in higher temps...(you won't even notice)

I apologize, but i am limited by my works firewall... cannot view your images right now.

quality = details
performance = good FPS(this is what you want for getting rid of the ninjas... i think)

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
hmm..that's interesting because they were already set to "Performance." i guess i'll try to change them to "Quality" when i get home and see if it makes a difference.

let me know what you think when you get to see the pictures

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
you vertical refresh(vsync) is set to Quality.. and its always on.... try performance or turn it off... also some of your other settings are controlled by the application(game), so make sure you check in the game settings too.

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
the vsync was actually on performance and i had just barely switched it when i took the screenshot.

i think i fixed it though. i went ahead and put it in the middle and also realized that the game settings for Battlefield has the vsync setting and it was off. I then turned it on and it seems to be working smoothly now. :sol:

thanks for all your help! i'll be back if the ninja's return! they're sneaky like that!! lol thanks again