Sign in with
Your question

Cd tray won't open from boot

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2012 7:38:31 PM

Hello,
After PC boot my CD tray won't open. No sign of any processes or apps running that might be capturing the drive. Also can't eject via explorer.
If I do the time-honoured straight paper clip jobbie I can open the drive and if I'm in an app such as iTunes for example the tray usually continues to open properly once I've forced it. However exiting the app often leaves me back at square one with the paper clip. Running win7 but I've seen the same thing before on previous OS builds on the same hardware. Any Ideas?

More about : tray open boot

January 16, 2012 7:53:01 PM

You drive h/w could be going bad. Have you tried re-seating the data cable on both sides of it? You might have a bent pin on one side or another if not, it sounds like it might be time to replace the drive. They are so cheap right now that you should be able to get a DVD-RW for about $30.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 9:49:14 PM

You can get a solid DVD writing drive for $19, so that is another 1/3 cheaper. The Asus one in my signature is quite well reviewed and works beautifully.
January 21, 2012 1:55:04 PM

netyoda said:
You drive h/w could be going bad. Have you tried re-seating the data cable on both sides of it? You might have a bent pin on one side or another if not, it sounds like it might be time to replace the drive. They are so cheap right now that you should be able to get a DVD-RW for about $30.

I'm tending to suspect software rather than hardware since it will often eject normally once it's had the first poke of the paper clip; under these conditions it will eject using either the physical button or the Explorer or other SW buttons.

I recall noting similar behaviour with previous OS or hardware build versions of my PC but the interesting point is that on all occasions the fault developed a significant time after the build, so not just from day-1. Anyway I guess it won't hurt to find another drive. At the moment it's just annoying rather than being a ball-breaker.
!