Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New CPU - Audio problems

Last response: in CPUs
April 29, 2012 3:00:49 PM

Hi, i just got a new CPU off ebay (without original packaging) - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 to replace my old Pentium 4 650.

mobo is Gigabyte G31M-S2C.
RAM is DDR2 4GB 800Mhz.

I'm experiencing clicks and pops (audio) when listening to songs and watching movies. This happens without exceptions - every time, on all audio and video files.
I tried a video game for the test and oddly it was great, way better then before, i could go with high settings as opposed to low with the old CPU, and the audio was fine (?!).
I have two sound cards - an internal PCI Creative and an external firewire interface. It happens with both.
This is a very big problem for me, since this is a recording studio computer! When i try to listen to recordings with my firewire audio interface in my recording software with some VST effects, it's even worse, the recording software freezes and it stops playing, then continues to play and so on.. None of these stuff happened before with my Pentium 4 650.

What should i do? Is the CPU defected? How can i test it to make sure? Maybe i needed to change some settings after replacing the CPU?
I didn't replace the fan, i don't know its model, but its a Zalman, and looks like this. Could be a cooling problem? I did put a good thin layer of thermal compound before mounting the fan over the CPU.

More about : cpu audio problems

a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 5:25:15 PM

Have you updated your BIOS? The 9450 requires BIOS version FC.
m
l
April 29, 2012 5:33:23 PM

sk1939 said:
Have you updated your BIOS? The 9450 requires BIOS version FC.

FC? i checked the supported CPU list on my mobo model page on Gigabyte site, on the column named "Since BIOS Version", it says F2 for the Q9450. CPU-Z says i got F6.
So its ok, isn't it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 à CPUs
April 29, 2012 5:43:07 PM

FC would be a later BIOS than F6, download and flash.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 5:59:45 PM

MidoBan said:
I just checked and there is no FC in my mobo BIOS web page, latest is F6e (wich is what i have).
Here's the page: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Had a typo which was for a different board. F6 is the latest indeed. Have you made any other changes to the system?
m
l
April 29, 2012 6:01:29 PM

sk1939 said:
Had a typo which was for a different board. F6 is the latest indeed. Have you made any other changes to the system?

No, just replaced the cpu.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 6:21:57 PM

It has to be the CPU then; I'm not exactly sure why it's electrically noisy however. It could also be the motherboard as well given the difference in power draw between the two processors.
m
l
April 29, 2012 6:26:45 PM

sk1939 said:
It has to be the CPU then; I'm not exactly sure why it's electrically noisy however. It could also be the motherboard as well given the difference in power draw between the two processors.

So this mobo cant work well with this CPU? but it was on the supported CPU list, is there nothing i can do??

Is my RAM too slow for my CPU or something? is it making any sense at all?

If it's the CPU that is defective, is there a tool i can use to verify it?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 7:50:06 PM

I'm saying it's a possible that the motherboard has a defect when it comes to this particular CPU. With the firewire audio interface, you using a PCI card yes?

The ram shouldn't be a problem, or at least I've never heard of it causing an issue like this.

Not that I know of, other than trying it in another PC.
April 29, 2012 7:55:38 PM

sk1939 said:
I'm saying it's a possible that the motherboard has a defect when it comes to this particular CPU. With the firewire audio interface, you using a PCI card yes?

The ram shouldn't be a problem, or at least I've never heard of it causing an issue like this.

Yes, using a firewire pci card, but its the same problem with the pci soundcard and the firewire external interface.

Well, i think the same, only option is to try on another pc. I have a friend with a computer repair shop, i'll pay him a visit, see what comes out of it.

Thanks for all the help man..
m
l
a c 193 à CPUs
April 29, 2012 8:55:11 PM

if your using wireless keyboard and mice try moving them away from the pc. you could be picking up an electrical noise from any wireless device. happens to me if i put my cell phone to close. as this is a micro atx board check inside the case where you placed the wiring.if it to close to the onboard caps or audio wires or fan you can get noise. I would also check in the bios that you still have the onboard audio off. I also would go to intel and creative labs web page and download the newest drivers for the sound card and intel inf update. the last tip would be to pull the pci firewire card and see if the noise is crossover from the two cards. if this was a full size mb i would have told you to move one card as far away from the other.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:22:40 PM

sk1939 said:

That's it! i fixed it!!

I disabled something called "CPU EIST Function" in the BIOS. It has something to do with managing CPU clock speed in relation to temperature i think. Everything works like a charm!! nevermind how many CPU intensive audio plugins i use simultaneously, it doesn't scratch the CPU usage %, and works fast, and really smooth!! Thats it :) 

Thanks for everything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 9:29:41 PM

Glad you managed to fix it, don't forget to select "Best Answer" to close the thread.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:31:38 PM

Best answer selected by midoban.
m
l
!