Log On Box

I just installed a new printer as well as SP 2. Now there
is a log on box at start up even though I am the only
user of this machine. Before there was just the splash
screen. In using Run: "control userpasswords2" there is
another Administrator showing up as well as my name. My
name is now secondary. I'm afraid if I delete this other
administrator I won't be able to start up my
machine.Wlhen I check in Control Panel/User accounts my
name is the only one and the guest account is unactive
I'm
using XP Home.
Thanks for any help

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

inline

"zixca" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a new printer as well as SP 2. Now there
> is a log on box at start up even though I am the only
> user of this machine. Before there was just the splash
> screen. In using Run: "control userpasswords2" there is
> another Administrator showing up as well as my name. My
> name is now secondary. I'm afraid if I delete this other
> administrator I won't be able to start up my

you won't be able to delete Administrator. It's a built-in account.

> machine.Wlhen I check in Control Panel/User accounts my
> name is the only one and the guest account is unactive
> I'm
> using XP Home.
> Thanks for any help

get TweakUI from the XP PowerToys
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx).
It will allow you to define an automatic logon for your userid.

hth

george

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

also, check a couple of posts down called 'tweak ui auto logon' for some
extra info on this.

"zixca" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a new printer as well as SP 2. Now there
> is a log on box at start up even though I am the only
> user of this machine. Before there was just the splash
> screen. In using Run: "control userpasswords2" there is
> another Administrator showing up as well as my name. My
> name is now secondary. I'm afraid if I delete this other
> administrator I won't be able to start up my
> machine.Wlhen I check in Control Panel/User accounts my
> name is the only one and the guest account is unactive
> I'm
> using XP Home.
> Thanks for any help

George,
Thank you for your help. I continued to work on it using
Tweak UI as well and finally got it back to normal.
Couldn't say exactly how it happened, but I'm happy :)

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

semantics, I know, but 'back to normal' isn't the right expression.
*Normal* would be that you have to logon and provide your credentials
(userid/password).
'Back to how it was before' is better.
It will probably not matter that much in your environment, but you have to
remember that the way you have set it up right now is *not* too secure.
Anyone can startup your machine now and be able exerise the exact same
priviliges that are configured for *your* userid, without ever having to
know what id/pwd that is.
That is considered a bad practice.
Glad I could help
:))