Isaac_thegamer

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I've been waiting for the 3rd gen Intel CPUs to be available for purchase, so now I can ask this. Tom's basically says to get an i5 for a gaming rig, but I also plan on doing a lot of Handbrake encoding and some Premiere editing. There is almost no price difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen CPUs, so I am not worried about the price. But, I do not want to pay extra money if there is almost no difference between the CPUs.

Should I go with i5 or i7, and should I go with 2nd gen or 3rd gen? I am not planning to overclock. Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-24.html

Edit: Most of the posts on here about this are strictly gaming pc's. Premiere and Handbrake will see improved performance from the jump, but it may not be that much improved. I am interested in your opinion.

Solution
To be honest it won't make that much difference to you over time.

My vote would be IB i5 and if you have an extra $100 put that toward a nice boot SSD.
Hello Isaac_thegamer;

I hope you're not under the impression that a Core i5 CPU will not run Premiere and Handbrake. They run it very well.
i7-3770K does run it faster, or course. But how many hours each day will be using Premiere Pro rendering and doing video encoding? If you're not rendering or encoding those programs don't really run much faster when you're editing or setting up a run.

Isaac_thegamer

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I know they will run Premiere and Handbrake fine, but (from the link I posted) the step from 2nd gen i5 to 3rd gen i7 is just over a 50% increase when it comes to speed Premiere runs. However, not much difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen i5's. But, at basically the same price, which would be the better choice?

Currently, my rig is super slow when it comes to these things. I plan on using Handbrake quite a lot, but Premiere not as much. I have a lot of video files I wish to encode using Handbrake that I've simply put aside because my current computer can't handle them. Thank you for the quick reply.

Isaac_thegamer

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks to see if the 2nd gen's go down in price at all, now that the 3rd gens are out. If they go down in price enough, I'll get a 2nd gen. haha Thanks for the response.

Edit: I went ahead and bought a i5 3570k during the $60 off deal from Tiger. I guess I have decided on the IB. Thanks :)