Need monitor replacement... hp zr2740w question

vanquila

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,
I have been reading many reviews and forums regarding the replacement of my husbands monitor (this will be a present). He currently has a PC and has an AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB video card. He uses the computer mainly for music production/recording and amateur video editing as well as internet surfing and I suspect with a better monitor occasional movie watching. He does not game. He has two old monitors and wants to replace them with a 27".

After some research I'm leaning toward the hp zr2740w. Its a bit over my original price point but from what I've read going to 27" it is better to have the 2560 X 1440 resolution (as opposed to a 27" with 1920x1080). I also looked at the Dell u2711 and the samsung 27" 850 and the apple cinema display (not sure it could connect to pc anyway). BUT given my budget (can't spring 1g right now) the hp is looking good. I doubt he'll connect anything else to it (ie gaming system or blue ray etc...the computer has a blueray drive).

Given his uses and the video card he has does anyone have an opinion on the hp and if it would fit his needs. I'm a complete novice at this and am learning as I go so would really appreciate some more experienced opinions before I purchase. Thank you!!!!

jhensen

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I think that video card will suit his needs just fine for this monitor. I have been trying to do as much research on this monitor as well, because the specs/ price seem almost too good to be true! I think this card should be able to be crossfired (two cards for combined performance), so if he needs a little more graphic performance it would only be a $100 upgrade. This would be a much better solution than going with 1080p at that size. He'll love the higher resolution screen! There seems to be only two downsides to the monitor from what i have read online. The first doesnt necessarily apply to your husband because he does not play any pc games, this being the slower 12 ms response time. The second is that it does not have an onscreen display to customize anything beyond brightness level. For serious photo editors and graphic designers, this might be a problem, but the color accuracy should be very high out of the box. I hope this helps, post any other questions that may come up... it's a big purchase, I know I would want to be sure of it!