Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power supply failure, Need advice on a new one

Last response: in Components
Share
April 29, 2012 4:16:07 PM

A week ago there was a loud bang from my computer and now it fails to power up. What are the chance that the components would have survive the power supply overheating?
I could do with some suggestions about a replacement 600w power supply, don't really know which brands are the best.
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 4:44:20 PM

without installing a new PSU, there is no way to tell if other components where damaged. stick to brands like pc power and cooling, antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, nzxt, enermax, silverstone, and xfx when shopping for new PSU.

some recommendations

good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

better
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 4:50:36 PM

dirtyferret said:
without installing a new PSU, there is no way to tell if other components where damaged. stick to brands like pc power and cooling, antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, nzxt, enermax, silverstone, and xfx when shopping for new PSU.

He could try swapping the components into another PC...at least that would work for the GPU, aux cards, and disk drives. Not so much for the mobo/cpu
Related resources
April 29, 2012 4:52:53 PM

Cheers, would a 600w power supply be strong enough to run a new gaming computer if I dont plan on using sli?
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 4:56:43 PM

Rugger said:
He could try swapping the components into another PC...at least that would work for the GPU, aux cards, and disk drives. Not so much for the mobo/cpu


or just swap that PC's PSU into the old build rather then removing mobos, add on cards & HDD
April 29, 2012 4:57:14 PM

Rugger said:
He could try swapping the components into another PC...at least that would work for the GPU, aux cards, and disk drives. Not so much for the mobo/cpu


I was going to try that with my graphics card, but I was told to get a 600w power supply for a 250gts and the only other power supply I have is a 250w from a 10 year old computer.
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 4:59:51 PM

SuperAlly said:
Cheers, would a 600w power supply be strong enough to run a new gaming computer if I dont plan on using sli?


depends on the video card but a quality unit like the pc power and cooling 600w unit will run any single GPU card like the nvidia GTX 570 & 580.


a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 5:02:18 PM

SuperAlly said:
I was going to try that with my graphics card, but I was told to get a 600w power supply for a 250gts and the only other power supply I have is a 250w from a 10 year old computer.


you can run the GTS250 with a quality 400w+ unit (28a+ on the 12v rail). a quality 600w unit will run two GTS250. as long as you don't install your video card, the 250w PSU can power your cpu & mobo just to see that they are fine.
April 29, 2012 5:10:13 PM

dirtyferret said:
you can run the GTS250 with a quality 400w+ unit (28a+ on the 12v rail). a quality 600w unit will run two GTS250. as long as you don't install your video card, the 250w PSU can power your cpu & mobo just to see that they are fine.


So If I put the old power supply in my computer and connect it to everything but the graphics card it should work? or do I need to remove the graphics card from the motherboard?
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 5:50:59 PM

remove the card and connect the monitor to your mobo's video output
!