Jim

I would like to put a shortcut to Windows XP help on my
start menu. I cannot find the proper file to target with
the shortcut. can anyone help?

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi Jim,

Try r-clicking Start and go to properties>advanced tab and see if the "Help
and Support" box is checked. If it is not, check it.

HTH, JAX

"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to put a shortcut to Windows XP help on my
> start menu. I cannot find the proper file to target with
> the shortcut. can anyone help?

Hi

Hi isn't Help and Support there now?

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to put a shortcut to Windows XP help on my
> start menu. I cannot find the proper file to target with
> the shortcut. can anyone help?

No, it is not.

Jim

Jim--

A fast way to get it back might be simply to go to your run box and type in
"helpctr -regserver">enter to reregister it.

The link from Doug Knox's site should restore help center to your start menu
which is by default.

Another is http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Restore winhlp32.exe for XP or XPSP1 (Line 57)
Restore Help and Support Service (Line 235 Left)

A quick way to access Help and Support and many other programs and locations
on your PC is to make an activated address bar by right clicking the
taskbar>toolbars>address bar. That gives you an address bar in your taskbar
that functions as a run box. Just type "helptctr" there, and just as in
your runbox, it opens Help and Support.

Chad Harris

"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I would like to put a shortcut to Windows XP help on my
start menu. I cannot find the proper file to target with
the shortcut. can anyone help?

>"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I would like to put a shortcut to Windows XP help on my
>start menu. I cannot find the proper file to target with
>the shortcut. can anyone help?

Isn't Windows Key - F1 a standard shortcut? (I suppose it might have
come with Winkey, but I thought it was built in.)

Maureen--

Yes, the Windows key+ F1 is the key shortcut for Help and Support, but I
think he wants Help and Support's shortcut on the Start Menu. Although
there are a few ways to reach it, ("helpctr" in the activated address bar in
the task bar or in the run box), I think he was after putting the shortcut
back on his start menu since Help and Support is a default shortcut on the
start menu and he mentioned that. Maybe not.

A List of the Keyboard Shortcuts That Are Available in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301583

Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows (These Work in XP SP2 RTM as well)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q126449

This fix from Ramesh's site [MVP] may be of help in addition to the
suggestions I gave Jim:

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/startmenuhelp.htm

Chad Harris
"Maureen Goldman" <inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net> wrote in message
>"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I would like to put a shortcut to Windows XP help on my
>start menu. I cannot find the proper file to target with
>the shortcut. can anyone help?

Isn't Windows Key - F1 a standard shortcut? (I suppose it might have
come with Winkey, but I thought it was built in.)

TRENDING THREADS