Sign in with
Your question

Dual GTX 285 in SLI screen flickering

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2011 4:40:51 PM

Hey guys, recently I had purchased a second GTX 285 to run in SLI on EVGA p55V... Everything works great on it except when I put my SLI bridge on. The screen flickers EXACTLY like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjd5CjuEBkM). However, when I have the bridge off, my sli works fine but I would really love the little boost the bridge gives in fps... So far I've tried every whql driver Nvidia has to offer in the older driver section and the bridge is not faulty as it works on my friends computer :(  I have also indeed used driver sweeper every time I tried a new driver. Im getting desperate guys :(  what else can I do? Thanks in advance!

My specs:
Evga p55v mobo
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 285x2 sli
i7 860 @ 2.8ghz
Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 4:51:34 PM

If you're using DVI try HDMI, or DVI if you're using HDMI.
m
l
November 18, 2011 4:58:16 PM

My cards only have DVI and S-video :(  and my monitor doesnt support S-video
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 5:01:46 PM

Oh right the GTX 285 doesn't have HDMI I forgot. Try using the other DVI port.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 5:04:48 PM

You do realize that SLI requires the SLI connector, right? Without the connector you are not doing SLI.
m
l
November 18, 2011 5:12:13 PM

switching my dvi doesnt work and no my motherboard enables sli even without the bridge, there is a performance increase but its not as good as what it could be with the bridge.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 5:17:25 PM

If the bridge works fine in your friend's PC and you already tried every driver then the only thing else I can think of to try is more drastic measures, such as reformatting windows or buying another motherboard. But before that, try both your cards in SLI on your friends PC if possible just to make sure nothing is wrong with the cards themselves.
m
l
November 18, 2011 5:25:29 PM

Well, I just tried a few more things and everything run perfectly in window mode... interesting... and the screen flicker ONLY happens when im playing games by the way.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 5:33:22 PM

Try another DVI cable if you have it, or grab your friend's cable.
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:21:26 PM

Just tried it :(  no luck :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 7:29:14 PM

I'm out of ideas :( 

Maybe try a DVI to HDMI adapter if you have one. The only other thing I can think of is either reformatting or buying a new motherboard.

Also, try putting your cards in your friends PC to make sure it's not the cards themselves.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 8:01:09 PM

I know when I play Skyrim with my cards in SLI it causes all sorts of issues. If you disable SLI and play the game all is well.
m
l
November 19, 2011 2:12:35 AM

AHhh oh well thanks for the response guys! :)  Skyrim works AWESOME by the way ;)  just as long as I dont have my sli bridge on haha
m
l
November 19, 2011 3:50:47 AM

Have you tried going to the Nvidia control panel and under "manage 3D settings" turned or forced on "vertical sync" for the applications that you see flickering in? This might solve the problem.

When doing this keep the bridge on and then restart the computer.

Good luck.
m
l
November 19, 2011 4:28:32 AM

Thanks icode, actually, I fixed the problem!! :D :D  Using evga precision I just clocked both cards at the same exact settings rofl! They seemed to have been running out of sync! wooohooo!
m
l
December 22, 2011 4:43:52 AM

I created an account just to help others with this issue.

My story: I have two Geforce 560Ti cards and after installing the 2nd card to run SLI I would get lots of "screen flickering" when starting to play a game. The flickering even affected the opening menus of the game. This was not artifacting or tearing. This was total screen flickers of black and possibly other colors (this is explained later).

I have read all the threads I could find, much like you all have. People have blamed the card itself, the drivers, the graphics settings like vsync and resolution. The issue is with none of that.

THE PROBLEM IS THE SLI BRIDGE.

You have heard that before though. Lots of people have ordered new bridges to try and fix the issue. I have discovered that the issue is not that the SLI bridge is "broken".

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE SLI BRIDGE HAS A POOR CONNECTION.

Now the fix:

Leave your computer on and go into one of your games. You want to have your screen flickering. Now carefully begin to adjust the SLI bridge connection. I don't have an exact method for this, but I just started with one slide and began slowly pulling it out bit by bit to see how the picture changed. I say pull out because most of us probably installed the bridge by pushing it all the way down, which would make sense. After adjusting how the bridge was seated on my graphics card I eventually (less than 2 minutes) was able to have my screen be flicker free.

m
l
December 22, 2011 4:47:07 AM

Oops I forgot to explain the "colors" part. It's not very important but as you adjust the SLI bridge you might see the flickers change colors to like blue or purple. I did anyhow...

After getting the flicker problem I tried installing a different SLI bridge. I then noticed that my flickering took on a purple shade. This is what led me to believe that the SLI bridge was directly involved in the issue. Trying to adjust the bridge with my computer running was just an idea I came up with out of frustration.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 2:52:49 PM

I would have to say this is highly risky. With a running computer and sliding around an electrical connector like this can cause you to lose both video cards.
m
l
!