Service pack 2

I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since installing
service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to programs and settings
that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on this?
9 answers Last reply
More about service pack

    I have yet to install SP2 on a PC that resulted in unwanted program changes.
    Follow the SP2 Checklist and you'll be OK with SP2.

    After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2),
    some programs may "seem" not to work. By default, Windows Firewall
    is enabled and blocks unsolicited connections to your computer.

    This article discusses how to make an exception and enable a program
    to run by adding it to the list of exceptions. This procedure permits the
    program to work as it did before the service pack was installed.

    Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842242&Product=windowsxpsp2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Direct Download):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    George Matthai wrote:
    > I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since
    > installing service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to
    > programs and settings that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on
    > this?

    No problem here.

    I did do the following just prior to installing XP:

    Checked for adware/spyware with Ad Aware 6.0
    Checked for latest updates for my peripherals
    Checked for latest updates for my applications
    Updated my AV software virus definition files.
    Ran a virus scan.
    Did a disk cleanup, cleaning out temp files and cookies.
    Did a chkdsk on my system drive.
    Imaged my system partition with PowerQuest Drive Image to external hard
    drive. ( if no imaging software, I would strongly recommend , at the least,
    backing up all important data files, and settings ). Take precaution when
    deciding what to back up, make triple sure you have any data files that are
    very important to you backed up in some way, either to another partion, hard
    drive, cdr, floppy.

    Downloaded SP2 network version ( complete 266 mb file) from windows update
    catalogue site.
    Disabled my AV software.
    Installed SP2. I think it took about 15 minutes for me, maybe 20 at the
    most.

    After installation:
    Ran disk defragger on system partition. Made sure AV software was activated
    again. Checked my main applications and programs I run to make sure no
    issues.

    No problems, and my computer appears to be a little snappier. No conflicts
    with any of the security features, matter of fact i have a hardware nat
    firewall with my router for my cable internet, and have the XP firewall on,
    and no issues. I also really like the pop up blocker.

    --
    Don Burnette

    I have to agree with Carey. I've had no problems installing SP2. Agreed some
    website couldn't be accessed after the initial install but, by using the
    firewall exceptions, I quickly solved the problem.
    Some people have complained about internet connection speed being reduced
    but, again, my speed has never varied. However, if this does occur it may be
    wise to check your modem properties Start>Control panel>Phone and Modem
    Options. Click the Modems tab to open your modem properties. In the modem
    properties window click the modem tab and check that the 'maximum port
    speed' is set to 115200. I haven't experienced it myself but some people say
    this port speed has been altered after installing sp2.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    "George Matthai" <gmatthai@juno.com> wrote in message
    >I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since installing
    > service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to programs and
    > settings
    > that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on this?

    George,
    I am in the dry-cleaning business and I have installed sp2 on three machines
    without incident. I did download the 266 meg file and installed one off the
    harddisk and the other two off a cd I made rather than using the update. The
    only reason I did that was because I was concerned so many computers would
    be trying to download it. I had no trouble and like I said have no computer
    training. I am sure it is possible for something to go wrong but I bet the
    chances are small. I have installed software and messed up my computer.

    Sammy Castagna

    "George Matthai" <gmatthai@juno.com> wrote in message
    >I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since installing
    > service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to programs and
    > settings
    > that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on this?

    "George Matthai" <gmatthai@juno.com> wrote in message
    >I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since
    >installing
    > service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to programs and
    > settings
    > that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on this?

    George I have installed SP2 three times on different computers without
    any problems.

    You will read or hear of only the few who may be having problems when
    installing SP2. You will not read of the many who have had no
    trouble.

    Bq

    I have to say that after I installed sp2, my computer and
    internet are running faster.

    Ran the install a few weeks ago .... not a problem with the SP2 install ...
    I do not use the firewall included ... I have my own .... I am not sure but
    my broadband connection appears to run a little faster ... and offline the
    games and educational software from the kids have had no problems ... the
    only minor problem was with a program called E-Sword ( bible software ) the
    work around I devised cleared that up in a flash .... go ahead and install
    the SP2 ....
    --
    ****************
    "old" devildog

    George Matthai wrote:

    > I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since installing
    > service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to programs and settings
    > that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on this?

    Current number of installs: 2,922. Current failures: 6. All were because
    the Service Pack uncovered something that was wrong in the first
    place. A fresh install solved the problem.

    One word of warning: Slip Stream an XP CD with Service Pack 2. If you
    don't and you install something that requires the CD (and you use the
    original), you will have to reinstall the Service Pack. Even better, a
    fresh install with your new CD will install XP with the service pack
    already included. Cool.

    courtney sends....

    Don Burnette wrote:

    > George Matthai wrote:
    >
    >>I have heard some horror stories that people have suffered since
    >>installing service pack 2, Some say it makes unwanted changes to
    >>programs and settings that are difficult to correct. Any feedback on
    >>this?
    >

    > No problem here.
    >
    > I did do the following just prior to installing XP:
    >
    > Checked for adware/spyware with Ad Aware 6.0
    > Checked for latest updates for my peripherals
    > Checked for latest updates for my applications
    > Updated my AV software virus definition files.
    > Ran a virus scan.
    > Did a disk cleanup, cleaning out temp files and cookies.
    > Did a chkdsk on my system drive.
    > Imaged my system partition with PowerQuest Drive Image to external hard
    > drive. ( if no imaging software, I would strongly recommend , at the least,
    > backing up all important data files, and settings ). Take precaution when
    > deciding what to back up, make triple sure you have any data files that are
    > very important to you backed up in some way, either to another partion, hard
    > drive, cdr, floppy.
    >
    > Downloaded SP2 network version ( complete 266 mb file) from windows update
    > catalogue site.
    > Disabled my AV software.
    > Installed SP2. I think it took about 15 minutes for me, maybe 20 at the
    > most.
    >
    > After installation:
    > Ran disk defragger on system partition. Made sure AV software was activated
    > again. Checked my main applications and programs I run to make sure no
    > issues.
    >
    > No problems, and my computer appears to be a little snappier. No conflicts
    > with any of the security features, matter of fact i have a hardware nat
    > firewall with my router for my cable internet, and have the XP firewall on,
    > and no issues. I also really like the pop up blocker.

    On my home computers, I just took the plunge. I installed the service
    pack without doing any preparation. I have Diskkeeper HE, so I didn't
    have to defrag. (That's done automatically.)

    On my home systems, I have many programs, like Everquest, Flight
    Simulators, other online games, and Symantec Antivirus and Firewall.
    Other than disabling the Windows Firewall for Symantec, and getting the
    update from Symantec that lets Windows Security program know of its
    existence, I have had to make no other changes.

    courtney sends....