Sign in with
Your question

Power suplly for my new build

Last response: in Components
April 29, 2012 6:34:47 PM

I was trying to run a 550 ti on my parents dell computer but i would get heck of bad frams, like in wow even i'm getting about 5-10 fps and i'm pretty sure my power supply is the problem

My psu specs:
Model Nr. HP-E3509F5WR LF
Wattage 350 W
Retail box Optional
Euro. Power cord Optional
PFC N/A
Single Fan 120mm Sleeve
P1/20+4 pin
Connector 2 SATA connectors
1 PCI-E connector
RoHS Yes
Voltage
+12V 1
+12V 2
+5V
+3.3V
+5Vsb
-12V DC output (Amp)

So i'm doing my own build and they said i can use the 550ti because they don't need the power. So to save money i'm probably going to end up running a 550 ti set-up but i need to know if the psu in this computer is the source of the problems i'm getting and what psu i should get. p.s some other things i'm going to be running in my new computer is a i5 2500k and 8 gigs of corsair vengeance memory, if that helps at all

More about : power suplly build

a c 158 ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 8:15:06 PM

The GTX 550ti requires a 450W PSU with at least 26A on the 12V rails and (1) 6-pin PCIe power connector. The PSU you listed has a PCIe connector but only has 25A on the 12V rails. Look at the label on the side of the PSU and tell me what the max combined watts are for 12V1 and 12V2. Your PSU MAY be able to run your planned upgrade, but might experience stability issues during heavy loads like gaming. I would recommend upgrading to a good quality 450-500W PSU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 8:29:22 PM

Hi, you dont say what the other system specs are... or what games you are getting bad frames rates from.

For sure the PSU is weak for your needs, but FPS can be down to many things.... drivers / fragamented HDD etc...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 29, 2012 11:46:22 PM

Rugger said:
The GTX 550ti requires a 450W PSU with at least 26A on the 12V rails and (1) 6-pin PCIe power connector. The PSU you listed has a PCIe connector but only has 25A on the 12V rails. Look at the label on the side of the PSU and tell me what the max combined watts are for 12V1 and 12V2. Your PSU MAY be able to run your planned upgrade, but might experience stability issues during heavy loads like gaming. I would recommend upgrading to a good quality 450-500W PSU.

The max watts for the 12v1 and 12v2 is 300w
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:50:33 PM

ulysses35 said:
Hi, you dont say what the other system specs are... or what games you are getting bad frames rates from.

For sure the PSU is weak for your needs, but FPS can be down to many things.... drivers / fragamented HDD etc...

I have an i7 860 running at 2.80ghz
and I have 8 gigs of ddr 3 memory running at 1333 mhz.
As for the hard drive it is a samsung 1tb hard drive running at 7200rpm. My drivers are also up to date( 296.10)
And i said that i was getting bad frams in games like world of warcraft even.
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:55:23 PM

Also btw this card was supposed to be an upgrade from a 240 but the 240 was actually getting better frams so it is defenetly not a problem with any of my other components
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 30, 2012 1:07:21 AM

Bad frame rates are not typically associated with the PSU. The most common culprits are drivers, insufficient GPU or CPU, malware/virus, a system that isn't 'clean', insufficient RAM, or even a HDD that is full. Have you tried monitoring the voltages using a program like Speedfan or HWMonitor (free versions available for download on CNET)? Do you use a program like Advanced System Care to help clean up and optimize your PC? http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-...
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:49:03 AM

Rugger said:
Bad frame rates are not typically associated with the PSU. The most common culprits are drivers, insufficient GPU or CPU, malware/virus, a system that isn't 'clean', insufficient RAM, or even a HDD that is full. Have you tried monitoring the voltages using a program like Speedfan or HWMonitor (free versions available for download on CNET)? Do you use a program like Advanced System Care to help clean up and optimize your PC? http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-...

I doubt its a problem with a different component though. this happened right when i replaced my old 240, unless two components went bad at the same time its not a hardware issue and i have checked again all of my drivers and they are still up to date there
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 30, 2012 11:22:15 AM

A key piece of information is that it happened when you replaced the GPU. I still recommend the 'cleaning' software and running a malware/anti-virus. Did you remove the old GPU drivers or just install the new drivers? If you didn't remove the old drivers, then that could be an issue.
m
l
April 30, 2012 8:33:22 PM

Rugger said:
A key piece of information is that it happened when you replaced the GPU. I still recommend the 'cleaning' software and running a malware/anti-virus. Did you remove the old GPU drivers or just install the new drivers? If you didn't remove the old drivers, then that could be an issue.

It's nvidia built, do nvidia built cards have their own drivers? (And btw I did get the software to clean up my computer and im getting some noticeable improvement outside of game =) and ty)
m
l
a c 93 ) Power supply
April 30, 2012 8:44:47 PM

In line with what others have suggested, I would go with a good quality 500 watts to 600 watts PSU - Corsair, Seasonic, Antec.

Yes Nvidia graphics cards do have their own drivers that can be downloaded and installed from Nvidia's site.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 30, 2012 8:47:26 PM

matt9806 said:
It's nvidia built, do nvidia built cards have their own drivers? (And btw I did get the software to clean up my computer and im getting some noticeable improvement outside of game =) and ty)

You can get drivers from the card mfr or from nvidia. What's the model number for your card (not gtx 550ti but the actual model number)? I think you may be having some driver issues that are affecting gaming performance. I would uninstall the current drivers and get the most recent drivers from nVidia.

YW and glad Advanced System Care is helping speed you up some. ;) 
m
l
!