Graphics card upgrade for gaming PC?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my pc so that I can play MMO's like Aion, Guild Wars 2, Tera etc...on the highest settings. I'm hoping all it's gonna take is a graphics card upgrade but I'm not sure. My pc info is below:

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 month

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) $200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the net

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) existing pc

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and amazon.com

Country: (e.g.: India) US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type no pref

Processor: Pentium Dual Core CPU; E5300 2.6 ghz

Overclocking: not sure

SLI or Crossfire: not sure

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

Additional Comments: If it is just a graphics card upgrade can someone please recommend one?
19 answers Last reply
More about graphics card upgrade gaming
  1. For $200, you can get the 6870.
  2. I recommend an HD 6870 or the GTX 560 Ti, depending on whether you're willing to spend an extra $50 on the GTX 560 Ti.
  3. What is your power supply? This could restrict your available choices.
  4. Lmeow said:
    What is your power supply? This could restrict your available choices.


    My power supply says 115v/6a and 230v/3a.
  5. bump.......
  6. Have a make and model on your PSU?
    What's the +12V amperage on the PSU's data plate?
  7. WR2 said:
    Have a make and model on your PSU?
    What's the +12V amperage on the PSU's data plate?


    It's a delta electonics GPS-300AB C

    +12V1 10A(Max)
    +12V2 14A(Max)
  8. It's a 250W (300W peak) PSU with just 19A total combinee current on +12V1 & +12V2.
    Far short of what's required for any of the $200 graphics cards.
  9. WR2 said:
    It's a 250W (300W peak) PSU with just 19A total combinee current on +12V1 & +12V2.
    Far short of what's required for any of the $200 graphics cards.


    So what would I need? 600W?
  10. A very high quality 400W PSU might be enough.
    Fitting a full size graphics card into a slimline case? That might be another problem.
  11. What make and model of PC are you trying to upgrade?
  12. WR2 said:
    What make and model of PC are you trying to upgrade?



    Asus CM5570
  13. smohrchi said:
    bump.......


    Don't...
    Bump posts

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first
  14. I haven't been able to find enough details to figure out what video cards would fit in your case.
    My advice is to find a forum with lots of other Asus Essentio owners and see what other Asus CM5570 owners are doing to upgrade their systems.
    It's a lot easier to follow someone who's already upgraded and had success.
  15. ok thx
  16. WR2 said:
    I haven't been able to find enough details to figure out what video cards would fit in your case.
    My advice is to find a forum with lots of other Asus Essentio owners and see what other Asus CM5570 owners are doing to upgrade their systems.
    It's a lot easier to follow someone who's already upgraded and had success.


    Well let me ask you this: Initially I thought the poor performance was due to my graphics card but after looking up the nvidia geforce 8600 GT the minimum power is 400w. So if I upgrade my power supply to at least 400W do you think that graphics card is sufficient to play the games I mentioned?
  17. I don't think a PSU upgrade will improve performance.
    The 400W recommendation was to cover a whole multitude of possible parts combinations to go with the 8600GT.

    Your 250W PSU was matched to your specific parts and is probably 'just enough'.
    And I wouldn't be surprised if your version of 8600GT was one of the lower power models (lower performance too).
  18. WR2 said:
    I don't think a PSU upgrade will improve performance.
    The 400W recommendation was to cover a whole multitude of possible parts combinations to go with the 8600GT.

    Your 250W PSU was matched to your specific parts and is probably 'just enough'.
    And I wouldn't be surprised if your version of 8600GT was one of the lower power models (lower performance too).


    Sorry for all the questions but isn't the 8600GT a full size card?
  19. A lot of different versions of 8600GT
    Some of them low profile and some low power.
    http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/P56-8606-Main-JH.jpg
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Graphics Cards Systems