Sign in with
Your question

Processor upgrade to Gateway desktop

Last response: in CPUs
April 29, 2012 6:45:05 PM

I bought a Gateway DX-4831-01E a couple of years back after having built my own computers for many years. Anyway the DX has done a great job but since it has only an i3-530 processor its starting to show its age. I saw several hints that the motherboard in the DX-4831 can be upgraded with the replacement of the i3 to an i5 or i7.

The motherboard PN: MBGAJ09001 (I don't know who the mfgr is but I've seen rumors that it is an ASUS Mobo)
Intel H57 Express chipset
Intel Core i3-530 (2.93GHz) Processor // Socket LGA 1156 // FSB - 1333 MHz // PN: BX80616I3530

The problem is, I've found no official documentation from Gateway that indicates just how to do this. Gateway info does indicate that you can plug in a i5 or i7 (providing the package style and its a version one processor) it just doesn't say anything else. What I mean by anything else is:

1. Does this update require any changes to the bios (ie. re-flash with latest and greatest
2. Are there any repercussions to my OS (Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit)
3. How do you safely remove that huge funnel mounted to the cooling fan to get at the processor
4. Any special tools needed

I anybody out there has any knowledge (or better yet ... experience )of accomplishing this change over, I'd appreciate anything that you could share.

I've already changed the Power Supply to a 750 W Thermaltake Inc. beast and have "slightly" upgraded the video card with an ASUS GTX560 Ti Direct CU II. The only thing that keeps my desktop from being smokin hot is the processor.
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 7:38:46 PM

check and see and what the other CPUs where that gateway offered with that line, usually those are the only ones the gateway BIOS supports

update the BIOS to the latest and greatest gateway support has

simply swap the old the processor with the new

m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 8:23:29 PM

did you use CPU-Z to try an identify the motherboard & manufacturer ? its a free download and gives you a lot more other info too
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2012 9:11:56 PM

gateway uses a proprietary BIOS rather then the manufacturer

m
l
June 11, 2012 3:43:15 PM

Biker_Billy said:
I bought a Gateway DX-4831-01E a couple of years back after having built my own computers for many years. Anyway the DX has done a great job but since it has only an i3-530 processor its starting to show its age. I saw several hints that the motherboard in the DX-4831 can be upgraded with the replacement of the i3 to an i5 or i7.

The motherboard PN: MBGAJ09001 (I don't know who the mfgr is but I've seen rumors that it is an ASUS Mobo)
Intel H57 Express chipset
Intel Core i3-530 (2.93GHz) Processor // Socket LGA 1156 // FSB - 1333 MHz // PN: BX80616I3530

The problem is, I've found no official documentation from Gateway that indicates just how to do this. Gateway info does indicate that you can plug in a i5 or i7 (providing the package style and its a version one processor) it just doesn't say anything else. What I mean by anything else is:

1. Does this update require any changes to the bios (ie. re-flash with latest and greatest
2. Are there any repercussions to my OS (Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit)
3. How do you safely remove that huge funnel mounted to the cooling fan to get at the processor
4. Any special tools needed

I anybody out there has any knowledge (or better yet ... experience )of accomplishing this change over, I'd appreciate anything that you could share.

I have the same computer as you do. Did you try an interl i7 processor? Did it work for you?

I've already changed the Power Supply to a 750 W Thermaltake Inc. beast and have "slightly" upgraded the video card with an ASUS GTX560 Ti Direct CU II. The only thing that keeps my desktop from being smokin hot is the processor.

m
l
June 11, 2012 4:22:53 PM

Did you uipgrade to the i7? Was it successful>
m
l
November 12, 2013 7:20:33 PM

dalfrednix said:
Did you uipgrade to the i7? Was it successful>

m
l
November 12, 2013 7:37:00 PM

Everything went fine and all is working great. I researched the processor down to realizing that there are several generations of i3's and i7's so you must use the same generation of the replacement cause Intel dinked around with the PCIe bus on later generations so they are not compatible with Mobos designed for earlier gens. I bought an Intel Core i7-870 Processor 2.93 GHz 8MB Cache Socket LGA1156 from Mega Micro Devices Inc. through Amazon for $280.00. Re-flashing the BIOS proved to be a major hassle so I skipped it and it had no bad effects. I downloaded a free ap (Speedfan) to monitor system component temperatures and the i3 ran at (24 - 28C) idle with Windows 7 64 bit before I changed it out; the i7 runs typically at (37 - 42C) under the same conditions so don't freak out this is normal. If your video board is on the PCIe bus, the system will boot up with the native screen resolution (800 X 600) and the system may not locate your video card. On my system it failed to find my Nvidia 560 TI Cu and my LG Blu-Ray Writer both of which sit directly on the PCIe bus. I re-installed the driver and every thing came up perfectly. I ran Spec 9 a free graphics intensive benchmarking tool and the i7 was beautiful but some of the processor cores got up to 75C which scared me a bit. After doing some more research I found out that this is normal for such an exhaustive test. I hope all this helps.
m
l
!