Help With HTPC build

I am preparing to build a new HTPC whose primary storage will be from a 4x2TB disk raid 5 ESata enclosure. I am trying to keep it at around $300 before shipping. Right now my primary HTPC is a full desktop gaming system and I want to offload that to a smaller, more economical system. The specs of what I am looking at so far are below. If anyone has any better options I welcome alternatives.

However, my primary question is will the 150W PSU in the case below handle the workload? Or should I look at a different Case/PSU? I know all too well how important a PSU is but I also want to keep it as economical as possible(ie not putting a 300W PSU on 150W worth of equipment, etc) I am having a hard time finding the headroom of these individual components.

Thanks for any help.

COOLER MASTER Elite 100 RC-100-KKP3-GP (With 150W PSU)
Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II
AMD A6-3500
ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75
NO DVD/Blu-Ray as I have dedicated players for that.

Total cost of system after shipping $331.
2 answers Last reply
More about help htpc build
  1. Well a couple of things. First the Llano is an excellent choice for an HTPC, no question. However, there's a couple of things. First is that PSU will power nothing, and you never want to use a case with a PSU included anyways as the included PSUs are most of the time flat-out junk.

That SSD is way too small. Even if you're running 2 x 2TB hard drives you have to keep in mind that a Windows install will take up 16GB and that's half your drive there, and even then a 32GB SSD will only be about ~27.5GB formatted and you'll lose a lot of OS functionality including the ability to backup and store large files on a BD-R drive.. If you can try to get a low-cost 64GB drive like the Crucial M4.

Even if you already have a dedicated BD-R player buying an OEM drive like the one from LG wouldn't be such a bad idea because a lot of movie titles have internet exclusive content and that kind of a drive will make things a lot easier. You can always add one later since they're super cheap, but if you don't care about that stuff you can skip that for now.
  2. Thanks for your help.

I was looking at the E-350 but from what I have read it seems like the Llano chip is just all around better for a HTPC than the E-350.

Yea i realize integrated PSU's are usually junk, however I was not looking for anything that would power a guzzler like a dedicated GFX card or anything

Secondly I forgot to mention, I will be running Ubuntu not windows so I am looking at more like 5, 6 gigs at most for the OS instead of the 16 W7 requires.

Thanks again for your suggestions
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems