Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed for a Mid-Range Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2012 1:01:02 AM

Okay hi guys I've been thinking about building my own rig for half a year now, I've been doing my research and I'm still confused as to what parts I should buy. This is my first time building a computer, so please bear with me.
I have an feeling as to what parts I want, but I'm still confused as to what's the best bang for your buck and what's the best to maximize the potential for each component.

I will be primarily using this system for Gaming the rest of the use for the system are secondary hobbies.

Ideally I would like max out Skyrim and hit nearly high settings on Battlefield 3.

And I know there's new cards coming out along with new processors but there's always something new coming out. I just want to build this thing.

Finally I must thank "theAnimal" for providing this layout.

Approximate Purchase Date: 17th Jan - 31st Jan (2 weeks basically)

Budget Range: I can spend around £500-£600 (Before Rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Digital Painting (Photoshop), 3D Modeling, 3D Animations, 2D animations, Video Editing, Watching movies, Word Doc and Surfing the web. ( That should be everything)

Parts Not Required: Monitor (Although this is temporary)
The monitor should not be included within this budget. Although I would like recommendations. I am ideally looking for a 23" Screen at 1920x1080 resolution.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Any that do successful deliveries to/within the UK

Parts Preferences:
With this part I'm not too sure as to what I want. I know that I want the Intel I5 2500k as I would like overclocking to be an option. Anyway I'll just list the parts that I'm thinking about

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Price: £166.80
http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Inte...

Motherboard: I actually don't know what to get for this. I generally have no clue. I'm willing to spend up to £150-£160 for this component. I just want a good motherboard. I would appreciate any suggestions

This one has been playing with me :

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIBGC5-G0EAY00Z]
£144.98
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

If someone can recommend a cheaper one that does it's job well, I don't mind sacrificing those features on that motherboard because I don't think I would use them.

RAM: I don't mind having 4gb as I can always upgrade to 8gb later. I don't understand much about the RAM as many different types. So if someone could recommend a good one I would appreciate it.

These one seem attractive:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (BLTCP4G3D1608DT2TXOBCEU) (Orange & Blue Activity LEDs) **WORLD FIRST** [BLTCP4G3D1608DT2TXOBCEU]
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9) [CMX6GX3M3A1600C9]
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

Sorry I have no clue if they're any good :/ 

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W V2 High Performance '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CMPSU-650TXV2UK) [CMPSU-650TXV2]
Price: £72
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

Video/Graphics Card:
Okay guys at this point I don't know 560 ti? Radeon 6850. I don't know what type of card I would need

Blu-Ray/DVD Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP 12x BluRay ROM / DVDRW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATA-II Optical Drive - Black (Retail)

Price:£59.99

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD...

That bu-ray player one seems good enough for my use. If there's a cheaper one I'll go for it. I just need a Blu-Ray player.

Case: Here I need a lot of advice. I want a case that has good airflow, that allows plenty of rooms for my components. I mean I don't know if I should go Full Tower or Mid Tower.

Overclocking: Maybe, I would like it to be an option but I don't know how much I would utilize it.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 [Temporary resolution, perhaps 6 weeks after build]
Final resolution will be 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
I would like to build a rig that's quiet, I mean really quiet. I have a laptop right now that sounds like the GTX 480 card...It's a damn vacuum cleaner. At the same time I would prefer it to run cool as well.

Also I will be going dual screen in the future, however I may also upgrade my card to 28nm card.

I know it's a bit "wishy washy" :sweat:  but it's my first time building a computer and I would appreciate any help you guy can offer me and if I have missed out on any components I would really appreciate it if you guys can tell me. Thank you. :D 
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2012 2:40:02 AM

The GTX 560 Ti is a significantly faster card than the 6800 Radeon cards. It may also help multimedia work much more than any current Radeon because Nvidia's GPUs have CUDA acceleration, they generally handle GPGPU situations better than Radeons do.

Your CPU choice is good but the i7-2600K (probably another 50-80 euros, I don't know how much it will cost for sure in euros) would be better because of it's hyper-threading. At 1920x1080 SLI really isn't necessary. A single 560 Ti should handle pretty much anything at 1080p with ease.

Your RAM would need to be in a multiple of 2GB, ie 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB for an LGA 1155 machine or you would not have dual channel which would slightly reduce performance. LGA 1155 CPUs like the i5-2500K and i7-2600K support up to four memory modules. Your best memory solution would be to use either two modules (2x4GB=8GB or RAM) or four modules (4x4GB=16GB of RAM), depending on how much memory you want.

The memory frequency should be 1600MHz and no lower, preferably with 9-9-9-24 or similar timings. Higher timings in each spot means higher latency which means very slightly worse performance and lower timings means lower latencies which mean very slightly better performance.

Your PSU looks like a good power supply but it seems a little expensive to me. Keep in mind that I'm in the USA and aren't very good with foreign currency but it seems a little expensive for it's wattage and efficiency.
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2012 2:43:40 AM

If you're only gaming, get the 2500k. i7 won't make a difference in gaming.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2012 1:37:13 PM

He's not only gaming and that's why I mentioned the i7-2600K. It's hyper-threading will help with the other programs.
January 17, 2012 5:57:53 PM

If I go the i7 route it's about £60 more.

It's around £244, but more of the question is. Is it truly worth it to spend that extra £60 on a core i7.

I mean I just got to ask if you had my budget and wanted a" Sandy bridge core build" what would you do?

Also Overclockers Uk seems to be quite expensive, but they have the easiest site to navigate. I'll look around for a PSU. But 650 Watts is good right? Or should I go higher?

It's because in the future I will be going dual screen however I don't know if I will be gaming dual screen.

January 17, 2012 6:07:23 PM

I think the 560ti is quieter and cooler than its Radeon counterparts...
January 17, 2012 6:19:53 PM

mingwyo said:
I think the 560ti is quieter and cooler than its Radeon counterparts...

So I should go with that.

There are two versions I'm thinking of going with.

The MSI OC Twin Fozr II Edition

and the Asus DirectCuII Top edition.

I'll go with one of those two as I want a cool and quiet system
January 17, 2012 7:14:33 PM

Come on great ones I really need some help.
January 17, 2012 9:08:06 PM

I want to type all of that again, my first post, it seems a little too messy and it's bugging me.

I'm just wondering if I should make a new thread or re-edit everything. It's because there are some things I want to take out, however if I do that it would make some posts that are here obsolete
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2012 9:12:47 PM

The i7's increased price won't help gaming but it can help your multimedia work. Also, the GTX 560 Ti will help multimedia work more than a Radeon card will in situations that support CUDA and other GPGPU accelerations.

I would go with the Asus over the MSI card.
January 17, 2012 9:41:24 PM

blazorthon said:
The i7's increased price won't help gaming but it can help your multimedia work. Also, the GTX 560 Ti will help multimedia work more than a Radeon card will in situations that support CUDA and other GPGPU accelerations.

I would go with the Asus over the MSI card.

Thing is I'm just thinking how much I use the 3d modelling software and 3d animation.

I understand what you're saying that i7 2600k is much more suited for multimedia work, but the problem I have is putting that £60 forward for it. On the other hand, I'll have on system that can do everything efficiently and I won't need to change it for a few years.

When I really think about it Photoshop and Coral Painter are my most used applications, then I also have plans for Skyrim's attack animations so 3d work and a lot of rendering will be involved there.

My worry is does the i7 fall within my budget.

a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2012 10:36:40 PM

If it doesn't then the i5s will be great to but the i7 is way ahead of them, around 30% faster at the same clock speed because of it's hyper threading.

Since you seem against overclocking you can get the i7-2600 instead if its cheaper. Last I checked the 2600 and 2600K were the same price and if they are the same price for you too then get the K version just because it really can't hurt then.

If you can't afford the i7s then the i5 should still be good just not as good.
January 17, 2012 11:24:43 PM

redlightning001 said:
So I should go with that.

There are two versions I'm thinking of going with.

The MSI OC Twin Fozr II Edition

and the Asus DirectCuII Top edition.

I'll go with one of those two as I want a cool and quiet system

I actually just chose a 448 core edition. I don't know what's available around you, but EVGA makes a great product as well.
!